Chapter 29: Going Home

To my relief, for the remainder of my stay at Whitestone, Edric said nothing about our supposed betrothal. As soon as I found my father, that would be one of the first things I'd discuss with him at great length.

As is it was, I departed Whitestone after my fifth day. While I was grateful to find out the Von Danes were not my enemies as I had previously believed, I felt an urgency to return to Dilston Manor. I had to find my father somehow, more importantly I had to find where Sir Gregory was holding Freddy captive. My instincts were telling me I didn't have much time before it would be too late.

According to Sir Raulf, Sir Gregory did not know of my whereabouts. He also indicated that Sir Gregory had departed Dilston Manor not long after I went missing. Apparently, it was not until the following morning that anyone realized Brom and I had not returned from Kenton. He said Sir Gregory hadn't seemed all that concerned; sighting my impulsive behavior as the most likely explanation for my absence.

I had little information about Brom and hoped to find him at Dilston Manor unharmed. Though I could not get a clear answer from Sir Raulf before he departed Whitestone, I surmised there had been an altercation between Sir Raulf and Brom regarding my whereabouts.

Remembering the conversation I had with Brom over Sir Raulf's possible involvement, most likely he assumed Sir Raulf was somehow responsible for my abduction. I smiled to myself a little. Sir Raulf was lucky to be alive. He must have somehow convinced Brom he was not the traitor I had thought him to be.

I was given a horse and escorted by two of the Earls men dressed inconspicuously, as far as Perth. From there I was to travel the rest of the distance on my own. Edric dared not risk Sir Gregory finding out where I had been. Although, Edric was not happy about the idea of me being alone, I felt confident I could travel the rest of the way on my own as I had traveled the route many times.

We came up with a story as explanation for where I had been without implicating the Von Danes. Sir Gregory was sure to suspect something if he knew the truth of my whereabouts.

I would say I had been abducted and held captive in the woods and did not know who my captures were. I was then able to escape on one of their horses.

I felt the story was a little weak and was not sure anyone would believe it to be true. Edric assured me that anyone who knew me at all would believe me escaping to be possible.

Although I would never have admitted it to Edric, I felt a small glow of pride knowing he thought me so capable. I had changed back into the clothes I had arrived in to avoid any suspicion. I hoped that I could pass myself off as a young lad and not attract attention.

From Perth I raced back to Dilston Manor. I touched my boot, making sure my knife was still there. Edric had returned my weapon to me once he had felt confident I would not use it against him.

Riding through the country side, I kept my eye out for any signs of trouble. To my relief, I made my way without incident and felt a huge sense of relief when Dilston Manor came into view.

Slowing the horses pace, I finally came to a halt and I slid from his back. Standing there in the road I weighed my options. Should I go through the main gate and announce my arrival to everyone, or should I try for a more discreet approach.

I felt nervous and twisted the horses tethers in my hands. Sir Gregory could have returned since I last saw Sir Raulf. I was not sure I was ready to face him. There was no telling what he might do, or if he would go along with my story. He would surely suspect something, considering his own plans to abduct me had been foiled.

I walked on foot for a time, and as I approached the turn toward Dilston Manor I noticed a patrol of men off the side of the road. As I came closer I recognized Warrick and two of my recruits Walton and Cooper. The last man was Pevro, one of my fathers men. He was a quiet fellow and didn't usually say much. He was, however, one of the few who hadn't abandoned us after my father disappeared.

Relieved to see them, I waved my hand in the air to the get their attention. Warrick recognized me instantly and as best as his bad leg would allow him, he raced toward me. The others were right on his heels.

"My dear, how is it you're here? Everyone has been searching high and low for you." Warrick declared and wrapped me in an enormous hug.

Pulling back he looked me over from head to toe, his floppy hat hanging low over his face.

"Are you injured?" he asked with concern.

"A little bump on the head is all, nothing to be concerned over." I explained.

"Where have you been? We thought the worst when you never returned. Randolf said someone caught him from behind and drugged him, when he came to he couldn't find a sign of you anywhere." Warrick continued.

"I was taken by some men I did not recognize. They held me captive in the woods. I'm not sure what they wanted with me, ransom maybe; they never spoke to me directly. I was able to get away and I escaped with one of their horses." I explained.

"I cannot believe you got away!" Walton said in amazement.

Pevro grunted, "Don't know the lady that well do you?"

"At least you are here and you are safe now." Warrick said with feeling.

******

To my relief, Sir Gregory had not yet returned. His absence allowed me more time to come up with a plan. I prayed Sir Raulf would talk some sense into my father and he would reveal himself to me.

Beside my men and a few members of the household, my disappearance had been kept quiet, as to avoid causing a panic among the people. After answering everyone's questions and letting Avis fuss over me for a time, I was finally able to slip away from everyone and their well-meaning but rather vexing concerns over my wellbeing.

Lying on my bed, I closed my eyes and tried to rest. The day had caught up to me, and as much as I hated to admit it, I was not completely healed. My head was pounding again and I hoped I had not overdone things.

I'm certain Edric would have let me stay at Whitestone as long as I wished to, but I had insisted I needed to return to Dilston Manor.

Exhaustion quickly overtook me and I drifted off to sleep.

Once again, I found myself in a dark tunnel nothing but a torch to light my way. The voice calling for help echoed eerily around me. I wiped perspiration from my forehead and found the notion peculiar as the tunnel was dark and cool.

I made my way in the darkness until I came to where the tunnel ended. I remembered that a large stone wall was blocking the path. Waving the torch in front of me I looked over the entire stone, hoping to find a way past it. I noticed engravings of some kind along the surface, but hadn't any idea what they were. I ran my hand along the edges hoping I might find a gap or some way around it.

I tried pushing at the stone again, but realized there was no way to physically move the stone by myself. Suddenly a large gust of wind swished through the tunnel and passed me, blowing my torch out. Again I found myself in darkness.

Startled awake, I sat up in bed. I felt my heart beating uncontrollably and I tried to calm my racing heart. These dreams continued to plague me and wished I knew why I had been cursed with them.

I remembered my dream of Fern. I realized that once I had actually been to her cottage in Briar Woods, and had done as she had beckoned me to do, those dreams had ceased.

Now I was dreaming of a tunnel and a voice crying for help. Just as Fern had been real, what if the tunnel I dreamed of was real too?