Violin

Sometime after chapter 11. Maribelle.

"A-one! A-two! A-skiddy diddly doo!"

Lissa brought her bow down on the strings and made the violin scream with a discordant noise. I covered my ears in an attempt to drown out the fowl sound. How can someone mess up Twinkle Twinkle Little Star that badly?!

A couple seconds later, she put the bow down and grinned at me. "How was that?"

"It, um...existed?" I giggled nervously.

Lissa asked me to give her violin lessons. She was taught as a young girl, but her teachers abandoned her studies for some odd reason.

I understand that reason, now.

She's my best friend and I'm more than happy to help her, but I can't bring myself to criticize her.

Lissa sighed. "Just tell me that it was bad and get it over with..." She shook her head. "I know I'm bad; you don't have to sugarcoat it."

"Lissa! You're honestly not that bad!" Lies. "You sounded really good!" More lies.

"Maribelle, stop." Lissa sighed. "I'm bad."

"No, you're not!"

"Anna didn't hesitate to tell me I was bad."

I blinked at her a couple times. "Wait, you took lessons from Anna?!" Wha-?! Why HER?! She's an excellent violinist, but that means Lissa didn't come to me first!

Lissa held up her hands. "I asked her to teach me the bare basics. That's all," she said. "I wanted to make your job easier."

I shook my head and grabbed for some sheet music. "I see..." I breathed. "Well, that's fine. Anna is the teacher type, so I can see why you'd go to her."

Lissa smiled. "Thanks for understanding." She shifted through the sheet music with me. "Oooh! Can we play this one?!"

I took the sheet music from her, and my breath caught in my throat. "Moonlight Sonata? That is a difficult piece for someone who doesn't know the basics too well."

Lissa gave me an unamused look.

"Oh, um! I mean... We can do this!"

She rolled her eyes. "Alrighty, then!"

"Ok, listen to me play, first."

I brought my bow to the strings and began to play.

However, each note in the sorrowful song brought back memories I wished to forget.

...

I was alone.

Nobody in this massive court wanted to talk to me.

I was a disgrace, an outcast, an excuse of a noblewoman.

My family was counting on me to make it in the Royal Court; to become someone other nobles wanted as their ally.

But I was lost. Scared.

Alone.

...

A couple hours later (and when I finally managed to get those damned thoughts out of my head), Lissa had the basic notes down and was able to run the piece with me.