Chapter 18

I clearly hadn't realised how bad of an idea it had been taking that unfamiliar drug until I woke up in a hospital aching all over. I tried looking around slowly as even such small movement hurt like hell.

To my right I saw a familiar boy, with his head leaned against his hand sleeping peacefully - Jeremy looked cute with a sweater I recognised as my own and his mouth hanging slightly open, making light snoring noises.

I raised my arm that felt like it weighted a ton to lightly brush my face. I could easily feel bandages and small cuts on my face and lip, but I couldn't recall where I had gotten them from. I had no clue of how I even ended up here, the last thing I could remember was sticking the needle in my arm and leaving the park, but even that I could remember vaguely.

"Oh look who's finally back in the books of the living." Dom's voice echoed from the doorway of my plain hospital room. "You still look like shit though but I'm glad to have you back." He continued walking towards the bed. Dom looked down at sleeping Jeremy, who was now slightly drooling all over my favourite sweater.

"He hasn't left your side even for a second, even as much as we tried. He has been practically glued down onto that chair." Dom smiled before turning to face me. I felt his eyes studying my closely, making my heart beat increase a bit. "Are you okay?" He questioned.

"I- I'm fine." I stuttered, feeling the overwhelming pain shoot through my body as I tried to sit up straighter. Dom returned a sympathetic smile to me, "You shouldn't move too much, the doctor's orders."

"I- uh what happened? How did I end up here?" I asked with a muttered tone, feeling ashamed of myself lying here all weak and pathetic. I always thought I could take care of myself but I was clearly terribly wrong.

"Some woman had seen you lying practically dead on the sidewalk and called 999, and as I'm still your emergency contact they called me when you had arrived here. Then you were out for a few days and here you are; sort of alive but not too well as I can tell." He spoke with a stern tone of voice before pausing and sighing deeply. "Max, you overdosed. You could have died, do you understand? This is serious shit, you can't go playing around with these things. I coul- I mean we could have lost you for good." Dom continued, sounding angry yet same time kind of sad.

"I'm s-sorry." I whispered looking back down onto my lap.

"Don't think you are out of trouble with me just cause you didn't happen to die. I have told you million times to leave the drugs. How fucking stupid do you have to be to do this shit to yourself?! You really are unbelievable..." He groaned, disappointment all over his face. "Be glad the dirty needle didn't give you any diseases, you moron."

Surely Dom blamed himself for what had happened to me; even it was just my own stupidity, I understood that. I felt like a burden to him and to everyone else, maybe it would have been better if I really had died. At least they wouldn't need to babysit me 24/7.

"I am really glad you are okay though, but if I see you pulling this shit again I'm going to murder you personally. Love you kid." Dom sighed before heading out of the door.

After Dom had left few nurses had come and checked up on me to see how I was, they even said I could be released soon. Not because I was healed enough but the hospital was overcrowded.

Jeremy was still fast asleep on the chair so I decided it would be a good time to sneak into the toilet for you know, obvious reasons.

Now if only it had been that easy... I groaned loudly in pain as I moved closer to the edge of the bed. The sharp pain through my body felt like thousands of knives stabbing me. I groaned again, just this time loud enough to wake Jer up from his lumber. His sleepy eyes fixated straight at me, "Oh my god don't move!" He shouted rushing towards me and holding me up straighter.