Unspoken thank you

"This is not a goodbye, my darling, this is a thank you. Thank you for coming into my life and giving me joy, thank you for loving me and receiving my love in return. Thank you for the memories I will cherish forever. Bust most of all, thank you for showing me that there will come a time when I can eventually let you go. I love you."
― Nicholas Sparks

Several days seemed to pass by insanely quickly for Chloe, however for Beca it seemed like forever. For Chloe, the best thing about this situation is that her and Beca have been spending a lot of time together over the past couple of days. Chloe had been back to the beach house to fetch her some normal food, since the food in the hospital was disgusting. (She couldn't help the smile when Beca asked to bring her some Pop Tarts. She remembers thinking some things never change, because yes, Beca is still crazy about Pop Tarts just like before.) They had gotten to know each other more, asking random questions whenever they wanted. Of course, Chloe knew every thing about Beca, but that still didn't stop her from wondering some things about the nineteen year-old Beca that she thought she was. They had listened to music, Chloe had read to Beca at one point, and Chloe had even gotten Beca to watch Dirty Dancing. (Even Jesse couldn't do that nine years ago.)

Now though, Chloe laid with an emotionless face as she gripped Aubrey's hand in a death grip. She could feel the tears pricking at her eyes but she wasn't willing to let them fall. If she's honest, she's not even sure how she still has any tears left judging by the amount of times she's cried since that day on the pier. It's truly been an emotional roller coaster, but in the words of Augustus Waters, she's on a roller coaster that only goes up.

Chloe took a deep breath as she felt the nurse squirt the cold ultrasound jelly on her still-flat stomach and placed the transducer over it. And then everything went silent. She looked over to Aubrey who was staring at the small screen as she squeezed her hand tighter. And then Aubrey gasped, and tears sprung to her eyes and Chloe couldn't see or hear anything. The redhead squeezed her eyes shut as the tears started to fall, and her knuckles were turning white as she gripped her best friend's hand.

And then she heard it.

Her eyes shot open and her vision was instantly cloudy due to her tears. But that didn't stop her from seeing Aubrey standing with a hand over her mouth and tears in her eyes. She turned around and saw the nurse smiling brightly as she looked at the sonogram screen.

It was the quietest sound she'd ever heard, and she had to strain her ears to hear it properly, but there was no mistaking the sound of her little baby's heartbeat.

One month and three weeks ago..

"Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just.. nervous." Chloe sighed. "I mean, now that we're here it just.. feels so real."

"Hey, look at me." Chloe turned her head to the side to see her wife of two months looking at her with an adoring smile. She took her hand in hers and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "I'm right here. We're gonna do this together, okay? Everything's gonna be fine."

"I love you." The redhead smiled, leaning in to give Beca a peck on the lips. The brunette smiled up at her, wrapping her arm around her waist.

"I love you too."

"Mrs Chloe and Beca Mitchell?"

The two women turned their heads to see a woman in a nurse uniform holding a clip board. Chloe looked back at Beca with a worried face, but it seemed to soften when she saw how happy Beca looked. They both walked up to the lady and proceeded to follow her down the hall into a side-room.