Part XVI

Shane's POV

Over the next few days things have been... good, surprisingly. Drew and I have been spending the majority of our days in my room, lounging around playing guitar, watching TV, eating junk food. It was perfect.

I was stood in my room, leaning over my desk by my bed. Hearing footsteps behind me it wasn’t long until I felt two gentle arms slither around my waist as their head rested on my shoulder. If someone did that two me a few months ago I would have cried out and flinched away from their touch, probably followed by hiding in my bed until the memories went away, but now, now I knew that Drew wouldn't hurt me.

"Hey." His smooth voice filled my ears making me smile slightly. "Is this okay?"

I nodded against him, bringing my hand to Drew's that was around my waist and placing it over his lovingly.

"What are you doing?" He asked looking down over my shoulder. I felt his smile broaden against the side of my head. "Another one?" His voice projected excitedly.

I giggled and nodded. "Yeah, that makes two now."

Drew and I came together and thought of a way of expressing my happiness. Every time I would have a good day I would break off a brick of Lego from what was once the 'shadow creature' that the boy made us and eventually begin to create something new. Hopefully, one day the shadow creature would be no more, instead it would be the beginning of something new; a fresh start.

"You're doing great, sweetie." He spoke comfortingly and you know what? I was beginning to believe him. Although, I still felt negatively about who I was and I still struggled to accept compliments without getting angry and demanding that they eat their words because they were nothing to do with me; I still felt happy.

“It’s early days, but everyday gets easier.” I replied, leaning back against him, loving the feeling of Drew holding me. It felt right; it felt comforting and I knew that he was there for me, supporting me. Drew merely hummed in reply, and I took that as an agreement. It has only been a few days since my first counselling appointment after all.

I had taken Lynn’s advice, or ‘homework’, into account these few days and have managed to draw out a few things on my mind. They’re quite personal so I haven’t really wanted anyone to see. I’ve been doing them late at night once Drew has fell asleep by my side and the others have gone to bed too, I wouldn’t want to draw in front of them because you could guarantee that as soon as I open my sketchbook there will be questions asked, usually followed by a “Can I see? Please, Shane!” Notably from Kier, who would drag out the ‘e’ in my name for a long as humanely possible, just to frustrate me further in making me show him my work. It’s not that I don’t like showing them my art, It’s nice to know that people have an interest in my pieces but, when it’s something as personal as drawing how I’m feeling, or my experiences, I really don’t want to concern them. It’s not fair on them. Plus, I’m not even confident about showing Lynn, let alone my best friends.

“Hey,” Drew caught my attention by releasing me, dropping his arms to the side which in turn made me spin on my feet to face him. “Laurence, Luke and I fancy going to the cinema in a minute, our DVD’s are a bit over-watched. Fancy coming with us?”

I shook my head. “Is Kier not going?”

“Nah, says he doesn’t feel like it. Want to come?” He asked again, smiling broadly at me.

I shook my head in response once more. “No, thanks. I think I might stay and draw or something.”

Drew nodded and pecked my cheek softly. “I’ll be back in a few hours, okay?”