35. Was Not Expecting That

It had already been a few days since Aiden had asked me to be his girlfriend and I was on cloud nine again. It was completely ridiculous what he could do to me. Even after all these years, I still loved him with the same intensity I had loved him so many years ago. I didn't know whether that was scary or good.

I'd been sitting on my bed for a few minutes, not really doing anything. Aiden was at work and I was just doing my own thing. It had been so long since I'd gone to work and when I tried to go, I found that they had replaced me. I shouldn't be as hurt as I am now, but it was something that I really enjoyed doing and those kids had made their mark on my heart. It would have made me do happy if they offered me the job again. But I knew that it wasn't going to happen that way. I'm not that naive.

I don't think anyone volunteered to be kidnapped. But who knows? Maybe desperate times call for desperate measures?

Anyway, I had to find something else to do with my life.

I stood from the bed and walked around. I was feeling uneasy, anxious really. Aiden and I had agreed to go on a date today and while I was completely excited, it had been so long since I'd been on a date. I guess there was really nothing to worry about since I had been on dates with him before. But I was still nervous. Shouldn't be a surprise though, because I legit get nervous for everything. He makes me feel calm and confident, though, when I'm not worrying about having a date. Usually dates mean that they're in public. And I don't like going out into public a lot. Even though the reason why Daniels caught me was because I was out in the open.

I couldn't help but walk back and forth, and in random patterns. The door wasn't closed all the way, so it would make sense that I wouldn't hear someone come in. Add to that the fact that we have carpet, and there goes the extra secretive factor.

"What are you doing?" Ingrid said and I nearly jumped six feet in the air. My hands instinctively turned into fists and I was turned towards the source of the voice. It wasn't until my heart beat started to slow down and my vision started to clear that I realized that my sister wasn't any kind of threat. She didn't say anything to me, but I saw the look in her eyes. That wasn't usually my reaction. Most days I would have just thrown a pillow or told her to fudge off, but it scared the crap out of me this time. Don't get me wrong, I would have been scared shitless either way, but there was a real sense of fear this time. All I remember with those words is him. The way he would come in and ask me what the hell I was doing and wondering if I truly thought that it was going to work. My hands were shaking slightly and I made sure to hide them behind my back.

"Sorry, Nat. I really didn't mean to scare you like that. You alright?" she asked me, her voice using a softer tone.

I nodded. "Yeah. Don't worry about it. What's up?"

"I heard that you and Aiden are going on a date later tonight." She paused and then took the time to study my face. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"True. I'm really nervous and I know I really shouldn't be. I've done this before. And yes, Ingrid, I'm fine. Just a little scare. Nothing serious."

"You want me to help you get ready?"

At the mention of her helping me, the fear completely left my thoughts. I smiled at her. "I would really appreciate that, Ingrid. You know how long it used to take me to decide on what to wear. He still has the same effect on me, you know. I'm starting to think that my life is a Nicholas Sparks novel. Except maybe for the kidnapping. I don't know if he would ever do that."

Ingrid chuckled. "You start rambling sometimes and I swear, it's kinda cute. You need to chill. All you have to do is be yourself. You two already love each other and there's nothing that will tear that apart."