Chapter 5

I just barely made it to class before the warning bell rang. It was Environmental Science class with Mr. Gage, according to my schedule. I sat my backpack on the ground and sat in the only empty seat left. Lui was directly behind me and to his left sat David. They were talking about a video game when I walked over, but they went silent as soon as I sat down.

"Look David, it's fresh meat," I heard Lui say from behind me.

"Uh, that could be taken many different ways there, bud," David awkwardly chuckled.

"She can take it however she wants to," Lui replied in a suggestive tone. I didn't have to look back to tell he was smirking, clearly pleased as he made an attempt to flirt with me. I did have to give him credit though for doing a better job at it than Tyler.

The bell then rang, and the guy sitting at the desk in the front of the class looked up from the book he was reading.

"That bell is one of the most annoying sounds I've ever heard," Mr. Gage huffed as he stood up from his seat, "I swear, when I retire, I'm going to have PTSD every time I hear a bell."

His comment made the whole class laugh, including myself. I was happy he wasn't an uptight teacher. I didn't know how I'd be able to handle the stress of two monotone teachers. I would quickly lose my mind.

"Anyways, I'm Mr. Gage yada yada yada... I'm not a fan of the usual formalities so I'm just going to skip all of that," he muttered and tossed some papers he was reading from. They all loudly fluttered behind him and they flew to the ground. We laughed as he threw the papers with no remorse. After that, I had a good feeling that I would like Mr. Gage's class.

The class passed quickly, mostly because of how fun the class was. We spent most of the time talking with each other and the teacher. He was such a funny guy to socialize with.

The bell rang, and Mr. Gage swiftly flung his hands to signal us to leave.

"Good riddance," he said in a fake disgusted voice, grimacing at us as we left.

On my way to last period, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Sydney smiling at me.

"Hey!" I said and smiled at her.

"Hi. You like Mr. Gage?" she asked as we began to walk to Economics/History class together.

"Yeah. He's really awesome," I chuckled as I remembered some of the antics he pulled during class.

"You're so lucky. I don't have him for any class," she sighed.

We entered the Economics class and sat down next to each other in the back row. A few other students slowly filed in and sat down as well. I sat there quietly watching other students enter the room and sit down. Then, among the people come into the room, I saw Evan, Tyler, David, and Brock.

They each filled the seats directly in front of me and Sydney. I glanced over at her, and she looked back at me with a genuine face of pure disgust.

David turned around to look at me. I gave him a questioning glance, but he had seemed nice earlier so I was willing to listen to what he had to say.

"Hello again. I feel like I should apologize for my friend Lui," he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "He's not usually such a womanizer."

"I accept the apology, as long as he doesn't talk to me like that again," I smiled, appreciating his kindness.

Before David could say anything else, the warning bell rang. The teacher who was silently sitting upfront up until this point decided to stand from her chair.

"Welcome. I am Mrs. Singer," she turned around and wrote her name on the board, "I guess I didn't have to write that down, huh?"

She set the marker down and gave us a smile.

"Welcome to Economics. Don't be worried at all about this class because I promise you it's a breeze," she spoke.

The class finished up after we all introduced ourselves and played Two Truths One Lie. It sounds childish, but everyone had a lot of fun.

Sydney waited for me in the hall and we both walked to our lockers.

"I kinda don't need a locker since I carry my stuff around with me," she said as she put her backpack over her shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm used to carrying around textbooks but none of our classes have us carry textbooks so there's no need for a locker," I spoke as I closed my locker.

"I'm just not going to use mine," Sydney turned to her locker, "I'm sorry bud. It's not you, it's me."

"Hey! I'm the locker whisperer!" I exclaimed in a fake angry voice.

"Sorry," she giggled and she put her hands up in surrender. I smiled and we began to walk to the front doors.

"Do you ride the bus?" I asked her.

"Nope. My parents or my sister will usually pick me up," she replied.

"Do you see your parents?" I asked as I looked outside at the parking lot.

"Nah, but we can go on out there and chill on a bench," she said as she opened the door and walked outside. I followed her and sat next to her on a bench. I looked around and saw Evan and his minions sitting under a large oak tree. Some of his minions were missing, probably because they had left already. But I looked over and noticed Jonathan was with them.

I couldn't help but blush when he looked over at me. I turned back to Sydney, who was giving me a confused glance.

"What's the deal with you and Jonathan?" she whispered with a smirk on her face.

"Nothing," I quickly blurted out.

Sydney giggled at me as I felt my face become hotter and hotter.

"I think you guys could become a thing," she spoke with a serious face. I instinctively glanced over at Jonathan, who was still looking my way. Before I could react, I heard a familiar car horn followed by someone calling for me.

"(Y/n), lets go. I'm hungry," dad called from the car.

"Me too," Sydney said while I stood up and grabbed my bag.

"Bye!" I waved to her as I walked to the car.

While we drove out of the parking lot, I turned to look back and I noticed Jonathan watching the car as we left.