Chapter 8

The final bell rang, and me and Sydney stood up from our chairs in sync. We left Mrs. Singer's history class as she said goodbye to everyone.

"Since you're going to the dance, don't forget that tickets are $5," Sydney said as we walked out of the school.

"Okay," I sighed, not knowing how to feel about Homecoming.

"We should go dress shopping over the weekend," she suggested as we sat down on a bench. I put my backpack in front of my legs and I laid back. Speaking of, I was so ready for the weekend. I just wanted to hang out and sleep in. But dress shopping with Sydney didn't sound too bad.

"At least Friday is tomorrow," I chuckled.

"Speaking of Friday, there's a football game tomorrow night and you should come watch it with me," she spoke, looking at me excitedly.

"I'll ask dad. I think he'll say yes," I shrugged. She nodded and reached into her backpack and grabbed a bag of chips. She opened the back and offered me one. I accepted her offer and I ate a chip.

"Anyone special you want to dance with at Homecoming?" Sydney asked, catching me off guard. I silently contemplated it, meanwhile I glanced at the large oak tree where Jonathan and his "friends" sat. Sydney must've noticed because she sighed.

"I know those guys are cute and all, but when it comes to boyfriend material I wouldn't trust most of them," she muttered.

"Don't worry, I was looking at Jonathan," I said in a whisper, feeling my face become hot.

"You like...?" she whispered with a large grin on her face.

"Yeah, but please don't tell anyone," I mumbled.

"Psh, who am I going to tell?" she chuckled. I then heard a horn honk and I looked over to see an unfamiliar car.

"There's my sister. Bye!" she spoke as she flung her backpack over her shoulder and walked to the car. I waved to her as she drove away. Then, I received a text from dad.

"Sorry, I'm running a little late. Got caught in traffic. I'm about ten minutes away."

I sighed, slightly aggravated though it wasn't his fault. I replied with, "Okay" and I sat there silently. I watched as Evan and his friends left one by one. I hadn't noticed when Jonathan left, but he seemed to have disappeared from under the tree. At that point, I was left alone on the bench. That is, until I heard someone behind me faintly say:

"Hey."

I knew who it was and for a moment I got too excited.

"Hi! Want to sit with me?" I asked Jonathan. He timidly shook his head.

"No, that's okay. Last time we shared a bench I accidentally fell asleep on you," he replied in a hushed tone. His face grew red, and it was clearly visible even with his hood covering most of his face. I also felt my face become hot, and I let out an awkward chuckle.

"You talk about it as if I didn't enjoy it," I blurted out without thinking. I immediately wanted to take back what I said.

"Uh, I mean..." I muttered in an embarrassed tone, trying to justify what I just said.

"Well, if you don't mind then," he said as he walked over and sat next to me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to say that," I looked away, feeling embarrassed of myself.

"It's okay," he chuckled.

"You going to Homecoming next Friday?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"I'm not sure. Dances aren't really my thing," he shrugged in reply.

"I'm only going because my friend wants me to," I chuckled.

"That would probably be the reason I'd go," he commented. That made me think about his friends. I wanted to ask him why he hung out with them, but he stood up from the bench before I could say anything else.

"Looks like my dad is here. Bye," he walked away and left. And just like that, I was left alone until my dad arrived.