Chapter 13

We went right over to the nearby park. We began to aimlessly wander until we came across a play set. I tried not to seem like a child as I gasped and pointed to it.

"Can we go play?" I asked, a smile spread across my face. Sydney followed my gaze and she excitedly squealed.

"Race you there!" she called as she started to run. I followed close behind, but I stopped to turn around and check on Jonathan.

"You coming?" I asked as I tried to read his emotions but it was a little hard to under the dim light.

"I don't know," he sighed. I smiled and walked over to him. He seemed a little timid as I approached him. I gently took his hand in mine. He looked up at me, his eyes wide with surprise. I just smiled at him silently and led him over to the playground.

Sydney was already swinging on the swing set, so I decided to join her. I led Jonathan over with me and I sat down on the swing beside Sydney.

"Come swing with us," I said to Jonathan as I patted the empty swing next to me. He seemed reluctant to join me, but he did. He sat on the swing next to me.

"Let's see who can swing the highest," I giggled as I began to swing.

"Hey, you got a head start. No fair!" Jonathan spoke as he began to swing as well. I giggled at him as he complained, sounding like a child.

"I've got you both beat!" Sydney laughed as she swung back and forth, going fairly high.

"Sure, you can swing high, but can you jump off mid-swing and land on your feet?" I asked, attempting to challenge her.

"Psh," she scoffed arrogantly, "Watch me!"

I kept my eyes on her as she continued to swing back and forth, waiting for the right moment to disconnect from her swing. Either she got impatient or thought she could make it, but she jumped a little too late and ended up laying on her stomach. Jonathan and I began to laugh as I stopped myself from swinging so I could see if she was okay. I stopped her swing, which was still rather violently swinging back and forth.

"You okay?" I asked in between chuckles. I reached my hand down and she took it. I helped her to her feet as she began giggling uncontrollably.

"If only you had recorded that," she spoke, still giggling.

I heard a clanging noise behind me, and I turned around to see Jonathan had also landed on the ground. His swing was still going back and forth, telling me he just attempted the same thing Sydney did and also failed.

"You okay?" I worriedly asked and quickly ran over to him as Sydney began to have a laughing fit. He smiled at me and began to giggle as well.

"I wasn't very successful either," he said in between giggles. I smiled at him and helped him get to his feet. Meanwhile, Sydney showed no signs of stopping her laughing fit. As she laughed, she stumbled on her feet, unable to keep her balance. She ended up falling over, looking as if she was drunk. She then began to laugh more. At this point, I couldn't help but laugh with her even though I wasn't exactly sure what she was laughing at.

"I think the ice cream was too much sugar for her," Jonathan said, sounding like he was suppressing his laughter.

We decided to rest on a nearby bench to collect ourselves and calm down before returning to the football game. I tiredly laid my head on Jonathan's shoulder.

"This brings back memories," I giggled quietly.

"Shhh, Sydney doesn't know about that," he whispered back.

"What don't I know about?" Sydney curiously asked, tilting her head to the side.

"Nothing," Jonathan and I replied in unison.