The Death of a Wolf

In a flash of silver my black wolf with green eyes stood next to her ginger lioness with chocolate brown eyes. We spent the rest of the night playing in the clearing, racing each other, and fighting playfully.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terror washed over me in waves, how did this happen? Her pale, lifeless body rested on the steps of the throne room. A choked sob echoed from behind me, Aura rushed over to her dead mate. The Alpha's hand was stretched out holding a potion bottle, poison. A small slit ran across her neck, showing how she was finished. Why she hadn't poofed away was a mystery. Wolves started to stream in, to see what the commotion was about. Only to see the heartbreaking sight of the Luna hugging Selena's cold form to her, sobbing. The Order of the Stone, plus Lyric, stood beside me and Petra. Lyric's eyes widen in horror, much like the rest of us, she began to cry into Lukas's shoulder. I felt numb, who did this? I spotted a piece of paper stuck into the throne with an arrow. I shuffled up to the throne and took the note in my trembling hands, it was written in blood. Without thinking I read the horrifying letter out loud.
"The Alpha's blood ran red down the steps, I enjoyed this hunt more than you know. Such a powerful Alpha brought down by someone she trusted, how sinfully delightful. She is just the first of the wolves, but don't worry, you'll all get your chance. Starting with the champion."
- The Celestial Sister
          Gasps echoed around the room, accusations began flying.
          "A traitor?" "Has to be a lion!" "How did one get past our defenses?" Until someone spoke up, "It didn't just get past our defenses, we let it in!" I looked at the person who shouted to find it was none other than Koda! She was pointing at Petra, rage in her midnight eyes. Everyone wolf in the room went silent, accusing and hostile glares were pointed at the new lioness. I ran down the steps, and shielded Petra with my own body, I snarled viciously, my canines turning razor sharp as I bare my teeth. The advancers took a fearful step back, even the Order gave me shocked and terrified looks. Only Petra gave me an annoyed arched look, but behind it was pride shining in her eyes. A riot began as the other wolves made a circle around us, growling and snapping with their fangs. I was prepared to fight them all if it meant protecting Petra and my friends.
"ENOUGH! Savages! Your Alpha is dead, have you no shame?" Aura's raw voice cut through the tension. Everyone bowed their heads in shame, and some even whimpered submissively. Aura took a deep breath and said,
"There is a traitor in our midst, it is not Petra, I was with her the entire night! It was someone else!" Her voice trembling. "I cannot believe it had to come to this, but we need the weapons of the gods. It is time retrieve them! The Order of the Stone, and our champion will go to the stronghold to get them." She looked around the room for any sounds of protest, none came. A man with black and platinum hair presented us with a map, and quickly directed us toward the stronghold of the Eclipse.

We had been riding for hours, crushing silence and depression hung over us like a cloud we couldn't dispel. Everyone left to their own thoughts, Lyric had tagged along, desperate to escape the reeking smell of death, she shared a horse with Lukas. Olivia and Axel were also surprisingly quiet, farthest thing from their usually banter and squabbling. And finally, Petra and I on the last horse. Petra steered while I poured over the map, directing the group in a soft voice. "Something fishy is going on here, and I can't figure it out!" Rue loudly complained, as if Selena's death had no effect on her. "It sure did effect me, but unlike you doofuses I'm trying to figure out who killed our Alpha. If you want to help, that'd be great." She said, with her usual amount of attitude. As much as I hated to admit it, Rue was right. Moping around like a bunch of zombies wouldn't find this traitor and avenge Selena's death. "Glad to see that you've finally figured out that I'm always right!" I ignored her and listed out all the clues, first the killer used some kind of potion to weaken Selena enough to cut her throat. Next the killer had signed the note as the 'Celestial Sister', but that meant nothing to me. "You forgot the part about how Aura was the last one to see her!" Rue says darkly. I gasp, and a startled Petra turns to look at me, confused.
"No way Aura did it! It's her mate, that would literally kill her!" I said in a hushed voice. Petra stared at me, wide eyed. "It wouldn't kill her if they weren't actually true mates! I'm just saying it's a possibility."
"No way Rue, she was with us all night, but you may be onto something. Maybe Aura saw or heard something while she was leaving!" I exclaimed, a lead had finally appeared, giving me hope. "If you say so." We entered a jungle, and kept riding, after another hour or so we approached a gigantic temple.