Chapter 8: The Tributes enter the Arena part 2

Chapter 8: The Tributes go into the Arena part 2

Previously: Peeta saw Gale and Cato together. He called out to Gale while Clove called for Cato. Peeta grabs Cloves hand and they carefully run towards their friends. Peeta stops in his tracks when he notices the District 4 male come out of the jungle, knife in his hand, heading towards Cato and Gale. Everything seems to go in slow motion. The next thing Peeta sees are Gale and Cato flying through the air.

“CATO!” Peeta screams.

Peeta sprints to Cato’s side throwing his backpack to the ground. He rolls Cato onto his back, cradling his head in his lap struggling to get the backpack off Cato’s back.

“No, no, no! Please be okay. I need to tell you I’m sorry. And I have so much more to tell you.” Peeta says quietly, tears running down his cheeks. He sees a shadow fall over Cato’s face and looks up to see Camille, his partner from the night of the luau, kneeling down on the other side of Cato removing the backpack from Cato’s other shoulder.

“Peeta please let me help.” She says, gently pulling Cato from Peeta’s lap to lie flat on the ground.

Peeta lets go of Cato, vaguely aware that Clove is with Gale, helping him to slowly sit up. He watches as Camille leans down to listen for Cato’s breathing before checking his pulse.

“Peeta, I have to perform CPR. Do you know what that is?” she asks.

Peeta nods, tears still flowing down his face. “Please, just help him.” He says quietly. He is barely aware that Clove and Gale crawled over next to him, each taking a hand. He watches as Camille tilts Cato’s head, pinches his nose closed, and gives 2 breaths. Time seems to stand still as she gives compressions and breathes for Cato.

Just when Peeta is about to give up all hope, closing his eyes tightly, he hears Cato voice. “Peeta,” his voice is a little raspy.

Peeta opens his eyes and pulls away from Gale and Clove. “I’m here Cato, right here.” Peeta says, gently stroking Cato’s cheek. “I’m so sorry for last night. I shouldn’t have snapped at you. I was wrong for walking away from you like I did.”

Cato turns his head towards Peeta. “No, I’m sorry for pushing you.” He reaches up to touch Peeta’s cheek. “Please don’t cry.” His voice is soft.

Peeta leans down and gives Cato a quick kiss. “They’re tears of happiness now, I promise. How do you feel?”

“Like a brick wall hit me. What happened?”

“The boy from four that won with Rue the night of the luau was running after you guys with a knife. He stepped on a land mine. You and Gale went flying.” Clove answers. “You were, well.., it’s good to see your eyes, Muscles.”

Peeta helps Cato to sit up. “Clove, Gale you’re both here!” He looks at the red haired girl. “Who are you? You look familiar.”

“That’s Camille. She was my partner the other night. She saved your life.” Peeta answers.

Just then they hear yelling, their names being called. The small group turns and sees the rest of their allies joining them, loaded down with weapons and bags.

“What happened?” asks Marvel, running over to the group, dropping an armful of weapons. He sees Cato and Peeta looking at each other, each with a hand on the others cheek, smiling at one another. “Are we interrupting anything?” he asks smirking.

“Stay,” Peeta say to Cato, who rolls his eyes. Peeta stands up and looks at his friends who have joined them. They’re dropping more weapons and bags on the ground. “Clove and I had seen Gale and Cato come out of the jungle and we called to them. As we were running to meet each other, the boy from four came out of the jungle behind them. He had a knife and was going after Cato. He stepped on a landmine and they all went flying. Camille,” he points to the red haired girl, “gave Cato CPR. Then you guys showed up. Are you all okay?”