Chapter 13 Discoveries and Confessions

Chapter 13: Discoveries and Confessions

The Mentors

Lyme watches as the mentors climb into the hovercraft. They lost some good people today. Finnick tried to stay behind but Mags convinced him to go. She closed the trap door behind him, sealing both their fates. Finnick had no choice but to stay with the group, the trap door could not be opened from the tunnel side. Then, halfway to their destination they group was attacked by peacekeepers that had managed to get into the tunnel. That’s when they lost the morphlings from District 6, Cecilia, Seeder, Woof, Blight, and Wiress. Lyme could only imagine what happened to the Mentors that didn’t join them.

As they take off, a refugee from District 8 named Bonnie came into the room where the mentors were gathered around a table. “I have news from the Tribute hovercraft. Thresh Temper didn’t make it to the craft. And apparently the bombing of the arena caused some buildings to fall. Some debris from them had hit the tributes; three are reported to be seriously injured. Rue Burd died on the craft. We will rendezvous with the tribute craft within the hour. If we receive any more information on the tributes conditions, someone will be here to report to you.” Bonnie nods once to the group before leaving.

Haymitch gets up and begins to pace the floor. Effie goes over to the bar and pours him a shot of whiskey hoping that it will calm his nerves. He had truly been doing so well up to this point. In fact she decides to pour a drink for everyone. Johanna sees what Effie is doing and offers to help. Once everyone has a glass, Brutus stands to make a toast. “To the kids and Mentors who didn’t make it and to the kids we saved, we salute you all.” The clinking of glasses is followed by the sounds of grunts from those who don’t like the taste of whiskey. Effie makes a face that causes Johanna and Haymitch to laugh. Shortly thereafter, everyone jumps when Boggs walks into the room. “Sorry to interrupt, but there is news coming from District 13. It appears there are hovercrafts heading to District 12. Our operatives there are working on getting as many of the citizens out to safety as they can. Also, the families of the tributes from Districts 1, 2, and 5 have been retrieved and are on their way to District 13 now.” Boggs gives them a moment to digest that information before continuing on. “We will meet up with the tribute hovercraft in about 30 minutes.” With his report given, Boggs leaves the room.

District 12

After being knocked down by the blast, Fennel gets up and helps Hazelle and Lily check on the kids before he takes off to find Wheet. Before he can get even 3 feet away, he sees Thom carrying an unconscious Wheet. Thom looks up to see Fennel standing there and yells, “Go help the Hawthorne’s and Everdeen’s. I’ve got Wheet. We have to go now!” Fennel turns and picks up Posy. They all quickly move through the forest listening to the explosions coming from behind them.

They soon come to a small clearing filled with the now homeless District 12 citizens. Thom finds a spot off to the side and sets Wheet down. Lily and Prim immediately begin to inspect Wheet’s injuries. What they find isn’t good. He has severe burns on his back and legs.

“There’s a lake just beyond those trees,” Thom tells Lily. “Do you need any water?”

“We can soak one of the smaller blankets to cool the burns,” Lily says.

Rory finds the smallest blanket and follows Thom to the lake. He comes back 5 minutes later and helps the Everdeen’s to drape the blanket over Wheet’s body.

“A hovercraft from District 13 will be here soon. There are medical personnel aboard to help with the injured.” Thom informs them all.

Just as the craft arrives, Wheet regains conscience. “Dad, I tried to get Mother and Eliza to come with me but they both laughed at me, calling me a dumb fool,” he says weakly. “I should’ve never gone for them. I’m sorry dad.”