Chapter 21: Reunions & Disappointment

Brutus finds Cato and Gale sitting outside the tent where Peeta and Clove are sleeping.

 “I hear we got a new team member,” he says as he sits by the two guys. “And I know about this situation as well. I have an idea that will probably help you guys.”

“Right now I don’t see how anything can help,” Cato says hopelessly.

“You’re a fighter Cato! Fight for Peeta! Fight for your love!” Brutus says as he stands up. “Come with me – both of you. Enobaria will be here soon. She will keep an eye on Peeta and Clove, finding us later. Let’s try and fix this mess boys.”

 As they follow Brutus, they pass Enobaria.

 “I certainly hope you two look better when I find you later,” she says as she walks past the three of them on her way to the tent that the guys just left.

 Cato and Gale turn and look at her in confusion but say nothing.

Enobaria reaches the tent and peeks in. She sees that the two hurt ones are still sleeping. A small smile crosses her face as she takes in their position. Brutus had told her to wake them in half an hour and take them to get ready. He also reminded her to let no one else in the tent.

 About 25 minutes later, she hears movement within the tent. She walks in and sees Peeta and Clove sitting up on the cot.

 “Great, you’re awake,” she says when they look up at her. “Let’s go you two. You need to get ready.”

“Ready for what?” Clove asks tiredly with a touch of skepticism.

“It’s a surprise,” Enobaria replies cryptically. “Oh, and if you haven’t heard, Coin sent Leonitus here to District 5. And before either of you say anything; Jackson has him staying in one of the buildings on the other side of camp for now. But we do need to get going, so move it!” she adds.

They follow Enobaria to another tent. Once inside Clove and Peeta were slightly confused to see Cinna and Portia.

 “Don’t ask questions, just get ready,” Enobaria says. “I will be waiting outside. Just do as you’re told.”

30 Minutes Later

 “I let you doll me up but there is no way in hell I am wearing heels!” Enobaria hears Clove snarl. Then, “Alright, I guess I can wear the flats.” Clove says calmly.

 Moments later Peeta and Clove walk out. He’s wearing a blue button down shirt and khaki pants and his hair has been trimmed, no longer in his eyes. She is wearing a gray sweater, a knee length black pencil skirt, black tights, and gray flats. Her hair is down and in soft curls.

 “You guys look great! Let’s go,” Enobaria says smiling. She leads them over to the Mayor’s house and knocks on the door. Tigris opens the door, letting them in.

 “They’re waiting in the living room,” Tigris purrs as Brutus walks into the entry hall.

 “This way Peeta and Clove,” Brutus says winking at the confused pair.

 They follow Brutus into the living room where they see Gale and Cato standing by the fireplace. They notice that Gale is wearing a black sweater and gray slacks. Cato is wearing a light blue button down shirt and khaki pants.

 Clove grabs Peeta’s hand nervously. He can feel her tremble. He squeezes her hand as Cato and Gale turn towards them, his nervousness starting as well.