Chapter 14: Meet the Parents, a Nightmare, and More

As the group arrives in the hospital on the floor in which Wheet was staying, the group finds Clove, Marvel, and Foxface waiting for them. With them are the 4 Hawthorne’s and the 2 Everdeen’s. Marvel is sitting next to Prim telling her about his home. Clove was sitting between Vick and Posy smiling at the little girl who was telling the older one about the hovercraft she rode in. The three tributes look up and see the haunted looks on the group’s faces. Marvel stands up and Katniss throws herself into his arms, the shock of the recent discoveries still disturbing her. Clove sees that Gale is also preoccupied. Hazelle and Lily see anger and joy on Fennel’s face.

Fennel looks at the ladies, “I’ll tell you everything after I see Wheet.”

Both women nod. “Dr. Aurelius just left. He applied some Capitol burn cream on Wheet’s burns. Wheet will have to stay overnight but should be able to leave in the morning. You can go in now to visit.” Lily tells him.

“Thanks Lily,” Fennel replies. He turns to Delly and Madge, “Would you like to join us?”

The two girls share a look before Delly replies, “Sure. We probably should be there when you tell him.”

Cato tries to let go of Peeta’s hand so he could see his brother. He already overstepped the boundaries by going with Peeta and learning the dark secrets Haymitch kept.

Fennel sees the two boys and intervenes, “You boys coming? Wheet’s waiting for us.”

But Peeta refused to let go, “Please stay with me. I haven’t talked to Wheet in years and I need you by my side.” Peeta didn’t understand why he was being so needy; he just didn’t want Cato to go yet.

“Peeta, go be with your family. I’ll be out here waiting for you. I promise.” Cato tells him, trying to be strong for him.

Fennel can hear their conversation and speaks. “Cato, you are a member of this family. The minute you protected Peeta with your own life you proved you would be there for him. Besides, Wheet would love to meet you.”

Cato looks up at Mr. Mellark, “Thank you sir.” He turns to Peeta, “Guess you’re stuck with me now.”

“No place I’d rather be,” Peeta tells him smiling.

Delly knocks on the door before opening it to let Fennel push Rie in. Madge, Peeta, and Cato follow. Wheet looks up and smiles widely when he sees his dad and Rie. He’s shocked when the other four follow behind. “You’re here! You got out!” he exclaims. “Did the others make it out too? Katniss and Gale? The boy from 1, the girls from 2, 5, and 11?”

At the mention of Rue, the 5 teens all look down. “Little Rue didn’t make it.” Rie tells his brother.

“Oh, I’m so sorry guys,” Wheet says sadly. “I was hoping to meet her. But at least I get to meet Peeta’s beau!” he teases. “Well Peet, aren’t you going to introduce us?”

Peeta blushes a dark red, “Wheet, this is my boyfriend Cato. Cato, my brother Wheet.”

“Nice to finally meet the guy who was playing tonsil hockey with my baby brother on live television,” teases Wheet. Both boys turn bright red. “Geez guys, I was just teasing. It’s very nice to meet you Cato.” Wheet turns to Peeta, “Peeta, it’s really good to have you back with the rest of the family,” he says sincerely.

“Speaking of family son, we have a lot to tell you,” Fennel says taking Wheet’s hand in his. “Do you remember the night you spent in the office with me?”