Chapter 27: A New Truth Revealed

The Games We Played

Chapter 27: A New Truth Revealed

Previously:

“We didn’t see any one out there,” Boggs replies. “But this envelope was on the doorstep.” He holds up the envelope for everyone to see. “It’s addressed to Peeta.”

All eyes immediately turn to Peeta who is looking at Boggs wearily.

“I can’t say that I honestly want to know what’s in that,” Peeta tells him bluntly.

“I know that Peeta,” Boggs says gently. “But it could be something important or something sent to you by Thresh and Glimmer for helping them.”

“Or it could be yet another death threat,” Peeta whispers quietly so no one would hear as he tucks his head into Cato’s neck trying to hide. But his actions speak louder – he reaches towards Boggs for the envelope.

Cato, who had been able to hear due to their cuddling, gives Peeta a reassuring squeeze as Peeta takes the envelope from Boggs.

His head still tucked, he quietly asks, “May Cato and I go into the office to look at the contents? We will take Brutus or Enobaria as well, especially if we need something.”

“That sounds like a good idea Peeta,” Boggs replies. He turns to Brutus, “I think they’d be most comfortable with you in there.”

“Yes sir,” Brutus says as he stands up. He sees Cato and Peeta stand as well. They leave the room and head towards the office leaving behind a silent room full of stunned people.

Most were stunned that Leonitus still hasn’t complained about Peeta and Cato spending so much time together or that they were alone so much of that time. Clove especially was concerned about his no complaining. She was there when it all went down. Peeta’s siblings were worried that Leonitus might try to get back at Peeta and Cato. The others worried that Leonitus would use this Cato private time against Peeta somehow.

Finnick was worrying about how quiet Leonitus was being as well but felt it had more to do with guilt and protecting something or someone. He felt as if Leonitus really wanted to tell him what was going on but felt too threatened. Finnick began to consider ways that he could help Leonitus open up.

Leonitus was stunned as he realized that he wasn’t upset that Peeta was basically not following the rules for the whole 2 Suitor deal. It dawned on him he honestly didn’t care but knew that he and Peeta were going to need to have a very intense conversation. He wonders if Peeta would be willing to work with him for a little while longer while he tries to find a way to protect the innocent one.

Boggs realized that everyone was done eating. “Why don’t you guys go relax? Go read a book, watch TV, or play a game. Just stay away from the office. Oh, and no one is to go anywhere alone, is that understood?”

“Yes sir!” echoed through the room before everyone but Boggs, Jackson, and Paylor got up and left.

“You still up for taking the group?” Boggs asks Paylor as the last of the group left.

“I am. But with that envelope, who knows what will happen?” Paylor says. “And there’s still the matter of Ariel.”

“We should hear about that within the next couple of hours. Is there anything you’d like to do before we hear? The beach is just down the path. You’d need to take someone, but it really is a site to behold, very beautiful in the moonlight,” Boggs says.