03.

Street racing was a dangerous sport and like everything dangerous, Tony Caruso wanted a piece of it

Camilia watched her brother whip his hand in the air while making donuts in the middle of the industrial lot. Music was blasting from an open trunk. Graffiti cars with popping colors lined up. Supras, 240Xes, Bimmers, Mustangs. These were the cars people watched in pity as they drove by.

"What a shame to ruin a car with such nonsense,"

Camilia loved the look of them. Dirty and rebellious. They were small, low cars each with a distinct appearance, personalized to the owner's taste. She loved the sound of the tires scratching the ground, the smell of burning rubber. This was a place of familiarity. She had grown up surrounded by these gearheads.

"Hey kiddo, I'll wager 100 for the Fiat at the end there," Sal, their mechanic, said to her. Today she was the neutral party,  tracking bets. She wrote down his wager and put his bill in her money pack, strapped around her waist. The first time she had tracked bets for an event like this, some goons from out of town tried to rob her the money pack. Camilia made sure all of them ended in the hospital. The money pack still had blood stains to remind people to think twice before getting a little too ambitious.

"Good luck," she meant it. Sal had been a close friend and mechanic of the family for years now. Loyalty is as valuable as money in the Caruso clan. He gave her a wink and went out to check out more cars.

Camilia sat dutifully on the hood of a yellow Mitsubishi, enjoying the rough ambience of a night like tonight. There was fire and fuel in the air. One of the last races before the cold forced them to retreat inside.

A shiny silver bimmer drove into the lot. The surrounding crowd paused to check it out. Eyes trailed at its unique futuristic body. It parked at the end of the lot and people gathered around. The doors opened upwards and out came the last people Camilia expected.

Richard Agarwal, Sebastian Howl, Pearl Beaumonte and Jonah Wright.

"What the fuck are they doing here?" she said out loud. 

Destiny, her Nonna would say. Camilia shook the thought out of her head.

The bimmer looked like it just came out of a showroom. No grudge. Only slick and shine of the polished race tracks that this car belonged on.

Not all were pleased with the entry of this shiny car and very quickly argument started. Tony stepped in before Camilia could.

Camilia heard the exchange. This wasn't a place for them.

Dutiful, their fighter Jonah stepped in. He was taller than Tony and the only one out of the group that looked ready to fight. Vinny often talked about Jonah, the kid who could knock out an opponent in cold blood. 

He took a firm place between Tony and Richard, but didn't interfere. If fists were exchanged, Camilia actually thought Jonah had a chance against Tony. He had the posture of a fighter.  Now that's a fight she would pay to see.