34.

Camilia wasn't happy but she should be

Camilia wasn't happy but she should be. Her math test didn't go as badly as she thought, mostly because Sebastian somehow got a hold of last year's test which was very similar to the one written this year.

"Do you know how to always win at the casino?" he asked her, when he suggested using last year's test. "You cheat,"

Camilia was perfectly okay with that explanation as long it meant she didn't fail the course.

Her troubles started with Richard who stood her up at their coffee date again. He claimed that something with his family had come up but Camilia couldn't erase the suspicion that he was lying to her.

Today, they all sat in the clubhouse, Richard talking animatedly about how Ronny L. broke his leg at lacrosse practice and Camilia pretending as if nothing was wrong. Sebastian was sitting behind the mahogany desk, on his phone. The rest of them stayed on the couches, empty lunchboxes littered on the table in front of them.

Richard's phone rang in the middle and he stopped his story. Upon looking at the screen, he got up.

"I have to take this," he left the room.

Pearl and Jonah continued a conversation about a show they had seen recently, while Camilia sat there, arms crossed. Richard never took phone calls with such importance. She remembered his sister calling him once and he shrugged, turning it on silence. He always picked up for the gang but they were all here now. She reached for her phone.

C.C: Who is Richard talking to?

S.H: Why are you texting me, we're in the same room. And no, I'm a genius not telepathic.

C.C: You're not a genius, you're just a really good guesser.

S.H: My mensa membership would disagree.

C.C: I don't know what that is. Do all mensa members put wrong plugs in their laptops?

Camilia was talking about the time she watched frustrated Sebastian trying to mindlessly put his charger into the USB port of his laptop when clearly they were different shapes.

S.H: You're never gonna let me forget that, are you?

Richard came back in the room and she put her phone away. Sebastian came over to them, shooting her a wink.

"Who was that you were talking to Richard?" Sebastian asked, helping solve the mystery.

"Oh-h," he stammered. Terrible liar. "Just an old friend,"

"What friend is calling you at lunch?" Pearl asked. Richard became silent and Camilia could almost feel the dread building up inside him. Or maybe inside of her.

Without thinking it through, she grabbed his phone.

"Hey!"

Camilia turned around, blocking his arms. She quickly unlocked his phone-his birth year-- and went on call history.

D called.

Who's D?" she said, turning back around to face him. The atmosphere in the room took a turn.

"Camilia, give me back my phone," he said, straight-faced.

Camilia's heart pounded in her chest. There was nothing playful in his eyes.

"Not until you tell me who D is,"

"Cam, I'm serious. Give me my phone back."

She stared at him, searching his face for any explanation. There was none. She stepped back and quickly the phone was slipped out her hand by Jonah. She had been too distracted to even hear him move behind her. Jonah handed the phone back to Richard, glancing down at Camilia with a blank expression.

"That's private," he said, lowly.

"What? Are you going to lie to protect him again?" She spat out. Jonah's face fell. She turned to Richard, who was quiet and avoiding her eyes. "Richard, who he fuck is D!?" She yelled. Pearl stepped in between them. 

"Camilia, calm down. I'm sure there's a good explanation for this. Why don't you head out for a bit to cool off."

"I don't need to cool off. I need him to tell me to my face who he's been talking to." Her gaze turned to Richard.

"We'll talk about it later," Richard murmured. 

"I want to talk about it now. You promised me you wouldn't speak to her." Camilia said.

Sebastian stared at the scene with his brows furrowed.

"Richard," she begged. Her eyes moved to Sebastian, pleading but he didn't move. Of course he would defend his best friend- someone who he considered a brother. She hoped he would've said something because they had become friends.

"Camilia, I think you need to leave," Pearl answered. Camilia's teary eyes looked at her, someone she considered a friend. When she looked around, she realized that all three of them were standing by him and there was no one behind her. So easily she knew her place. This was their club. They would always stand up for each other.

She refused to cry.

"Fuck you." She spat out, then turned to his three friends. "Fuck all of you,"

She grabbed her backpack and stormed out of the room. She expected something, a call back, someone following her. But they didn't and she realized so quickly that they had chosen him in a heartbeat over her.