16.

Camilia entered the clubhouse early in the morning

Camilia entered the clubhouse early in the morning. It was quiet and very serene, like being in an academic's house. There was a birds nest somewhere outside that filled the room with chirps. The tall windows showed the fog disappearing as the sun rose higher. 

She settled her books on the table. Her math textbook laid out on the table. She had a test coming up and was determined to not fail it. Although it all seemed gibberish to her, she wanted to at least try. 

Half-way through, she stopped to watch the morning sun fill the room. The birds were chirping merrily. The peacefulness made her heart ache. 

Richard hadn't texted her back since yesterday morning. She could feel her paranoia enter her mind. The intrusive thoughts whispering in her ear that he's with Diane. He'll always choose Diane. 

The door to the study creaked and her gaze averted to the entrance, where Sebastian was standing. 

"Hi,"

Anger consumed her, disrupting the peace she was admiring just a moment ago. Without a word, she shut her book and started to put away her things. 

"I'm sorry," he said, walking closer. 

Camilia weighted the apology, his tone, his posture, whether he meant. She realized it would drive a women mad trying to live with someone who held no value to words.

"Do you mean it?" she put the algebra book down. He had his hands behind his back like a little school kid.

"Yes, I do. I shouldn't have said that to you. I wanted to hurt you," he admitted. "It wasn't fair nor was it right. I don't like my secrets being aired out."

"Oh really?" Camilia added sarcastically. "The guy with a career of snooping doesn't like his secrets being aired out," 

"Yes, when it comes to my family. It's hypocritical but coming from the people I trust--"

 "Richard doesn't talk to me about you," Camilia cleared up. "He holds me at an arms length." She said less pleasantly. "Your subjects are loyal."

"They are my friends, not subjects. Does that mean apology is accepted?"

Camilia smiled, "No,"

"No?"

"We're not friends, Sebastian. You don't have to like me. You don't even need to see me, actually I'd prefer that you don't. You know my secret and now you're holding it over me so that I would help you on your little adventures. We graduate this year, where you'll soon grow bored of this and leave me alone. You're too polite to demand so you dangle this blackmail in front me pretending that I actually have a choice. Don't worry, I'll play the part you want me to play. Plenty of men have tried to use me, some smarter ones have succeeded. So no I do not accept your apology. I know how men work, you're just a boy who has found a new toy."

Sebastian's eyebrows knotted. He chose his words carefully.

"You're not a toy to me, Camilia, and you're not obligated to join the missions. I pay you remember."

"Sure, Sebastian."

His face became even more troubled. 

"You don't have to join me anymore. I won't ask anything of you. You're secret is safe with me, I would never—"

She stood up, her confident gaze on him.

"You're not a good person, Sebastian. Own it. Do not bother me with your sad attempts of damage control. And who knows, maybe one day, I'll use you too."

She walked out of the room leaving Sebastian speechless for the first time in a long time.