33.

Maura stood by the staircase leading up to the old Dalton church

Maura stood by the staircase leading up to the old Dalton church. A bronze cross erected in the middle of the path which students passed by seamlessly ignoring it. She studied the uniformed students feeling a pang of envy. She never had the luxury of a private school. She never passed by iron clad gates and security in order to get to school in a car that cost her 3 years rent.

The students paid no attention to her and the cop car she was leaning against. Why should they? Their mommies and daddies could bail them out in a heartbeat. Maura felt a pang of disgust to go with it. Often she'd seen the judicial system value these kids over ones grown up in her neighborhood or ones that looked like her. However, this morning was not the time to dwell on class inequality. She drank the last of her lukewarm coffee when Carlos appeared from the entrance of the staircase.

"They don't like us being here. Says it'll send a bad image if we pull one of their students of class for a police questioning," Maura sighed, about to open the car door. "Luckily they were dealing with my handsome face rather than your grumpy one," he said, smiling. "Five minutes, that's all we get."

Carlos led her into the building. The hallways of Dalton Preparatory were vast and daunting. They walked on shiny checkered flooring and aged stonewalls, renovated to add the burgundy lockers along the wall.

Maura stared at the archway with the words non ducor duco carved on it as they walked underneath it.

They entered a carpeted room with one singular desk in front of dark brown doors. Across the desk were chairs lined up, Maura guessed for the troublemakers. At least one thing was still the same across all schools. The secretary was dressed smartly in a suit and wireframe glasses. Upon seeing the officers, he got up and pushed open the doors, revealing the headmistress's office.

It was all dark green and brown furniture. Awards and certificates hung on the wall letting guests know the this was an esteemed place. There were pictures of presidents and other important political figures snapped at various times at the school. The office was better than the captain's office at her precinct. Even the newly renovated rec room.

The headmistress of Dalton was a large built woman with a very somber face, but right now it was full of laughter. Across from her sat a male student who appeared to be the cause of that joy.

Once Carlos and Maura entered, they stopped laughing. The student turned back. Maura didn't know who she was expecting on that chair but it sure as hell wasn't a pristine looking kid like him.

Carlos did the talking for them, explaining the incident at the Alexandria Hotel a few days back. Gunshots were fired, along with building and furniture damage. What was odd about the shooting was that the night of, security footage for the whole hotel had been corrupted. An annual tech gathering also was taking place at the hotel and most rooms were rented out by entrepreneurs but on the floor where the shooting happened, only a handful were rented out. Sebastian Howl's credit card had been used to rent the room beside the one in question that night.