39.

Sebastian felt like punching a wall

Riding in the car alone, he played back the scene. Only this time, he wouldn't have lost his cool. The barrage of feelings in his heart wouldn't have spilled over. He would've maintained his composure and drove Camilia back home where she would've eventually gotten over Richard and not think twice about him.

He had to complicate things. Leaning his head on the cold glass window, he closed his eyes and saw Camilia's face. She hated him. How could he even begin to explain why he'd made a move on her right after her breakup?

And their kiss. He released a breath, still feeling strung up. He could kiss her forever.

Their break-up should've deterred him but the full force of his feelings hit him then. All the feelings he had tried to suppress imploding on him. Rational thinking went out the window.

"Fuck," he closed his eyes.

"You'll be okay, sir."

His eyes shot open and met Jorge's through the rear-view. It was the first time the chauffeur had commented on any situation in his life. His voice was stoic and calm, like a parent's. Did Jorge have kids of his own? Sebastian didn't even know, but he needed guidance. For once he didn't want to figure it out himself.

"Will I be?" he questioned miserably.

"People mess up, but if your heart wants her, you need to do everything you can to win her back. It'll be worth it, I promise."

Sebastian caught the glint of a golden wedding band on his finger. "Thanks Jorge."

"Anytime, sir"

His burner phone rang with an unknown number. When he didn't pick up, it rang a second time. Rubbing his temples, he picked it up.

"Hello!" his voice came out forcefully.

"Sebastian?" said a familiar voice on the other end. He straightened up.

"Katrina?" It had been months since he had last heard from her. The last time they spoke it was about illegal investments by a start-up CEO.

"Can you pick me up?" her voice wavered, sounding strangely robotic. "I'm on 10th and 51st street."

Sebastian was surprised. "Are you in danger?"

There was silence and in the silence he heard yelling in the background. "Please just come."

"I'll be there in 15."

He told Jorge the address and they arrived to an empty street, dark and desolate. They passed a parking garage, cleaners and restaurants, his eyes searching. He called back the unknown number but there was no answer. He kept calling until someone picked up.

"Stop calling you're waking up the whole street! This is a pay phone," the voice was old and croaky.

"Where is--"