Chapter 20

I was forced into consciousness before my eyes were ready to peel themselves open. I opened my eyes and read the clock on the bedside table, 6:08 a.m. We had been in bed for about four hours but my body decided it was time to wake. I was aware of Harry’s sleeping body next to mine so I gently rolled out of bed and grabbed my sweatpants, pulling them on and quietly making my way downstairs.

I made myself some tea and perched myself in the window seat opposite the dining room table, watching the sunrise. My mind revisited the events of the night, the feelings of disgust and fear rising again. I traced my fingers gently across my collarbone where the marks were and tears sprang to my eyes. I shook my head of the memories and sat there in quiet until I heard soft feet padding down the stairs.

“Good morning Love,” Harry greeted in his deep, raspy morning voice as he poured himself tea. “You feeling alright?” He came over and sat on the edge next to me.

“I’m fine,” I answered watching him over the lip of my cup as I took a drink.

“Are you sure?” he raised his eyebrows and tilted his head sideways a bit.

I chuckled at him, “I’m sure, Haz. I appreciate your concern.”

He smiled at me, “Alright, alright.” He paused a moment before he continued, “Hey what do you say to having the lads over for dinner tonight?” He smiled wide as he watched my unsure reaction. “C’mon I know Perrie wanted to meet Jen and Niall has been begging for your cooking lately. It would be perfect!” His eyes were hopeful and slightly closing, dimples stamped into his cheeks and teeth a bright array between his lips. He was using that “child begging his mum for something” look that he knew I couldn’t say no to.

I rolled my eyes and reciprocated his smile, “Yea, it sounds like fun.”

“Great, I’ll go call the lads!” he exclaimed as he jumped up and started out of the kitchen.

“Harry.”

“Yea?” he said turning on his heel.

“It’s half seven in the morning. The guys won’t even be up yet.”

His face slightly fell a he realized I was right. “But hey,” I said standing and walking towards him. “Why don’t we take a trip to the market, get what we need for dinner, then you can call them when we get back, yea?”

“Okay.”

We deposited our cups in the sink and made our way back to his room. I walked straight to his closet and started rummaging through it. “Harry, I’m stealing one of your jumpers.”

I heard him laugh, “It’s going to swallow you.”

“So, even better.” I pulled out a light grey one with pads on the elbows and a square pocket on the left side. I threw it over my head as Harry came into view fully clothed.

He looked over to me and pointed to the hem of his jumper, “See I told you it would swallow you.” he smiled.

I poked my tongue out at him, “So what!”

We laughed as we made our way down the stairs and to his car.

We strolled the aisles of the supermarket, cart full of ingredients for a dinner to feed ten.

“Alright I still need…” I said running my finger down the list, “Chocolate chips, peanut butter and all the cheeses.”

I led the way towards the baking aisle with Harry in tow, pushing the heavy cart. “All the cheeses? What kinds of cheese do you need?”

I picked up the peanut butter and tossed it to him, “Parmesan, cheddar, and mozzarella.” I tossed the chocolate chips in the basket and started towards the dairy section. “Have I never made you my homemade mac and cheese?” I turned to glance at him briefly.