Part 7 - Getting Hot (Emerald nr.3)

Sonic and Shadow went further into the hot, volcanic land. The volcano with the emerald was none other than Mount Doom, the most active and dangerous volcano in the world, in the middle of the volcano zone. When they had arrived Sonic and Shadow where already sweating, it was 30 degrees and they where still outside of the volcano!

“Damn its hot here!” Sonic said whipping some sweat of his forehead. “And what about me!” Shadow said with a bit of anger in his voice. “My fur is black!” “So?” Sonic asked confused. “That means that I absorb more light, which means more warmth, than you! The darker the colour, the more light it absorbs.” Shadow explained him. “Oooh!!!” Sonic said finally understanding. “Pathetic fool… You took the bottles of water with you right?” Shadow asked Sonic. “I thought you took them with you!” Sonic said with worry in his voice. “I said: “You take the bottles of water with you.” And you said you would!” Shadow shouted angry. “Oh yeah!” Sonic said dreamy. “Oh my god!” Shadow yelled palming his face. They entered the volcano. But after 15 minutes of searching:

“Even though I hate it, I’m gonna have to take a brake before I get dehydrated…” He sighed. “I can still go on.How about you getting some water while I search further.” Sonic proposed. “It’s a deal.” Shadow said. As Shadow headed of, he first jumped in the first lake he could find to get the sweat of. Then he got a bag with 20 bottles of water and headed back. Sonic hadn’t found the emerald yet and he was almost dry out now. “Your turn for a little brake?” Shadow asked. “Yeah.” Sonic said while panting. He drank some water outside of the volcano and they continued searching. “I think I found it!” Sonic shouted happy and relieved. He wanted to get out of this place ASAP! “That’s just a green stone you idiot!” Shadow yelled at Sonic. After another half hour, Shadow saw something green sticking out of the wall. As he started to dig it out, he saw that it was shiny and a bit transparent, like an emerald. He completely dug it out and saw that it was the emerald! “I found it!” yelled Shadow happy and relieved. “Is it a rock again?” Sonic asked. “Nope, This is the real one!” Said Shadow. “Which means we can get the hell out of this place!” Shadow said. “YES!!!” Sonic shouted.

But then the volcano started to shake. “Oh-oh!” Sonic said. “RUN!!!” They said at the same time. While they started to get out of the volcano, the volcano started to collapse. And the next minute they looked behind them, lava was flowing behind them. They ran even faster. They couldn’t get to full speed because of the de-hydration. The tunnel they ran trough to get out, collapsed in front of them so they had to find another way. They took the first one they saw. This one was way longer. They escaped the volcano, but they was they where on a little rock platform, in the middle of a sea of lava! There was no escape. But the rock platform they stood on began to shake too! The platform was on a geyser, and it was about to shout them of. They grabbed the platform as tight as they could and then the platform was in the air. They landed in the middle of the lava sea and the platform slid down with a great acceleration. The lava flied around there ears and they got several burns. They saw the end of the sea and they safely slid on the ground.

“Phew,” Sonic exhaled. “Damn! That was close!” He said. “You alright Shadow?” He asked Shadow. “Yeah, but if we don’t get into some water we’ll burn to ashes!’ He yelled and he ran to a near lake. The same lake he jumped in before. “Hell yeah…” Shadow exhaled while he felt the pain of the burns fade away. “I’ll pass. I prefer burning than swimming!” Sonic said. After Shadow’s burns where painless, he came out of the water and grabbed Sonic by the back of his neck. “WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING?!” Sonic shouted afraid that he knew what Shadow as doing. “I’m going to lower you into the water and I’ll make sure you don’t drown.” Shadow explained. Even though Sonic was really struggling against Shadow, Shadow did get him in the water but kept holding his neck. Sonic immediately grabbed Shadow’s arm tighty. He was not going to let go, but he felt the pain slowly fading away. “I regret what I’ve said.” Sonic said, relaxing a bit. After that Shadow lifted him from the water again and lowered Sonic back onto the ground so he could check on the detector again, but the light appeared again.