Chapter 8: Violin Practice

Woot woot! The chapters keep on coming!

The following morning, Ikuto had woken up in his room, looking at his father's violin resting against the wall. He had almost forgotten that his sister 'forced' him to accompany her for the free concert she was having. He moaned and groaned just thinking about it. What stopped him though, was the distinct smell of fresh bacon coming from downstairs. He freshened up and brought his violin down.

His heart palpitated when he saw Amu in a cute pink apron and her pajamas. The bacon sizzling in the pan in front of her intrigued him even more. She had turned around to see Ikuto staring at her, and she immediately froze.

"G-Good morning..." She murmured. He sincerely smiled and placed the violin on the side of his chair.

"Morning Amu. So it looks like you're making breakfast today," He said with a smirk. She clenched her teeth but decided to subside.

"It's the least I can do for bringing me home after work that day," She responded bluntly, taking the meal to the table. His mouth started to salivate when he saw the sizzling bubbles still popping on the bacon.

"You're not a bad cook after all," He answered as he proceeded to eat.

"What's that supposed to-" She immediately saw the violin next to him, just waiting to be played. "I haven't heard you played in such a long time," He had to stop eating in order to comprehend what she had suddenly said.

"Oh, yeah. Haven't had the right opportunity," He answered bluntly.

"Well, you're going to play it at Utau's concert! That's the perfect opportunity," She said cheerfully.

"Oh? So you're attracted to my violin skills?" He purred slyly. Amu rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"I just think you're a really great violinist. You're not like other musicians. Back then, you would always play your heart out, and I could feel how you felt. I just think you're gifted and you shouldn't waste it," She explained, truthfully. He was at first shocked at her response. He was expecting her to rat him out, but instead she complimented her.

"Thanks Amu. That really means a lot to me," His face expression softened, slaying her innocent heart. He could be a real jerk sometimes but he wasn't a bad person. Imagining Ikuto being a nice and warming person sent shivers down her spine. "Anyway, since I am going to play at the concert today, I was wondering if you could see me practice," Amu's eyes sparkled in the midst of daylight.

"Really?" She asked excitedly. He nodded as he brought the dishes to the sink. "Let me wash them-" She ran towards the sink, but tripped and collapsed in his arms. They stared into each others eyes, and had stopped everything around them.

"Clumsy little Amu," He said, leaning in closer, holding her firmly. Her cheeks were burning hot as his lips started moving closer to hers.

"Y-You perverted idiot!" She yelled, punching his cheeks, throwing him across the room.

An hour later, the two future lovers started walking towards the old amusement park, which was now renovated into a beautiful fair. Kids and adults come and go from time to time, but it was still a weekday and kids were busy in school. It felt nice seeing it empty. Flashbacks of Ikuto and Amu sitting in the tea cup rides, brought happiness and joy. Amu didn't often admit it, but she was glad that the park was only important to her and Ikuto. It was like their special sanctuary where they could express themselves without anyone watching.

"Amu, we're here," Ikuto said suddenly, disrupting her trail of thought.

"Huh?" Ikuto looked into her eyes again, making her heart race and smirked.

"You miss 'us', don't you," Amu's face turned red, and shook her head.

"We're here for your practice, nothing more," She responded defensively. Ikuto sighed and opened up his violin case. She peaked over his shoulder and saw the violin, untouched by anyone but Ikuto himself. She could often see his dad through the violin as if she had knew him. She had high hopes in the future that she would be able to meet him someday. After Ikuto tuned the instrument, he stood on the platform and went to his playing position.

"Ready when you are," He spoke. Amu sat on a bench, facing the performer and smiled reassuringly. Her smile sent him miles away. It was as if she was his source of motivation and inspiration. Once he slid his bow against the strings to give away a resonant sound, he immediately became immersed into the music.

Amu couldn't believe he was still so good after all these years. She definitely noticed he improved. It was probably because he was free of his ties with Easter. Every time she looked back at the times Ikuto was controlled by Easter, she felt a sort of sorrow that killed her inside and out. However, this time, his piece had a sense of hope, as if he was brought back to life by one individual. Amu was oblivious to the fact that she was his source of light.

Once he played his last note, Amu started to tear up. He was shocked and ran to her.

"Hey, you alright?" He asked worriedly. She shook her head and looked up at him, with tears streaming down her face.

"It's just too beautiful," She whimpered. He sighed and pulled her in a warm embrace.

"You idiot. You scared me," He replied, holding her tightly.

"You better be," She sniffled, leaning deeper into his chest. They had suddenly heard clapping from behind them. They looked up to see Utau and her guards carrying cables and speakers.

"You guys look so adorable. It's like you're in a romantic drama," Utau said cheerfully.