Prolouge

In a period of my life, I was once happy

In a period of my life, I was once happy. I didn't have to worry about if I woke up tomorrow, what the world would look like, if it suddenly plunged into darkness and chaos, or what my life would be like during the wake of an apocalypse. Not like today. Not like here and now. No one knew what they would wake up to, but I woke up to something so terrifying, that it has burned into the back of my mind, and when I close my eyes at night, that's all I ever see, over and over and over. I can't escape it. There's nothing but grief left. I feel so empty, so lost, so confused and I don't know which way to turn or what to do anymore. I have lost everything that meant the world to me. My entire family wiped out in just seconds. It almost doesn't seem real. Like I'm stuck in a goddamn loop. Is this what my life is supposed be like? Fighting the living dead and the bastards that make them? I don't see an end to it all. And it won't. He wants to watch the world burn with everyone with it, where only the dead remain. His creations. His masterpiece, all for revenge.

I sat on the edge of my bed, holding a picture of my mom, Veronica, my dad Alex, two brothers, Hayden, Ross and my little sister, Alice, trying to imagine what my life was like before all of this happened. There were no more happy memories, only replaced with ones full of darkness, chaos, grief and death. Everything was silent in my room. The clock stopped ticking, the faucet stopped dripping. Time stood still. I wanted to scream and hit the wall as hard as I could for the 18th time, but all I could think about was watching my family turn into these infectious, cannibalistic things with no human traits, only thriving on animal-like instinct. Why? Why me? Why them? Why? I keep asking myself a million times over. But no matter how many times I ask that question, I can never find an answer. I will find the man behind this and I will make him suffer for every person out there, and I won't stop until I have his head under the weight of my boot and a bullet between his eyes. No, death is too easy for him. He should feel the pain and emptiness of having everything ripped away from him, everything he cares about and he should watch as it happens right before his own very eyes.

I walked over to their lifeless and bloodied bodies, laying on the floor just inches away from me, with three bullet holes in each of their heads. I couldn't do anything except stare in shock, trying to process this whole thing. I just murdered my goddamn family, I said to myself. The gun, still in my hand and the smoke from the barrel lingered. What now? I took the sheets off my bed, covering them with it and finally walking out of the room to the hallway. My little sister's room, Alice, was to the left of mine. Her pale, pink, flowered door still shut. The feelings came back harder. You can do this. Walking over to her door, I gripped the knob and turned it. Her room still smelled like her perfume: rose petals and lilacs. Her favorite flowers. Mr. Bear, her favorite stuffed bear, were laying on the floor all bloody, but not a single thing out of place. Why did she leave it? She would never have left it behind? I took her pink and purple butterfly bracelet off her nightstand and tucked it into my pocket before turning back to head downstairs.