thirty one.

real life.

CHRIS' NERVES WERE finally hitting him

CHRIS' NERVES WERE finally hitting him. Fourteen hours ago, he received the best give ever, being able to fly out and see his girl. Four hours ago, he left L.A on a plane. Now, he sat in the passenger's seat of Anna's car, her best friend.

Despite the overwhelming happiness in his heart of meeting Carmen, his anxiety was getting to him. His mind was running a million miles a minute— all of them being scenarios of what go could wrong. His rationality was saying that this was going to be okay, his anxiety was saying that this will make the world crash and burn.

"You okay, Chris?" Anna asked, glancing at him quickly.

His fingers tapped on his thigh, attempting to ease the nerves. He shrugged slightly.

"I don't know," he chuckled, "I'm nervous, I guess."

Anna smiled softly, moving her hand to lay over his and stop the tapping that was slowly driving her insane. She forced his hand to lay flat on his thigh and she squeezed his fingers gently.

"It's okay to be nervous, Chris, but there's no need. Carmen's excited to finally meet you." She whispered, flashing him a reassuring smile. "Besides, you make her happy, I can tell. There's nothing that can screw this up."

His lips curled into a small smile, and he let out a breath, his nerves seeming calm for a little while. Chris couldn't wait to meet Carmen for the first time and be able to hold her and touch her. He couldn't remember the last time he felt like this for another woman.

"I really make her happy?" Chris felt like a child asking such a question, but he was curious.

Anna nodded, "Oh, yeah. Happier than I've seen in a long time. I have a feeling you're good for her but hurt her, and I'll hunt you down."

Chris chuckled softly, "You don't have to worry about it. She's already too special to me."

Anna couldn't stop the grin, she was too happy that her best friend had found someone, and someone she liked too.

Silence fell over them, and it was just the radio playing softly. It was like that for nearly an hour. Anna had tried to make small talk, but didn't succeed, which only ended up with Chris left to his mind as he watched the endless fields of corn and Anna kept her attention on the road.

Chris stared in awe as they entered the small town, the small houses, and stores capturing his attention. It was a really short drive through town until the reached the other side towards the rest of the cornfields and the taller buildings that were apartments.

"I hope you brought something nice to wear," Anna stated, glancing at him as she began to park her car. "Lizzie and I set up reservations at a restaurant over in the next few towns."

"I did. Lizzie actually helped me pack and offered to watch Dodger." Chris smiled, picking up his baseball cap and fitting it over his head. It was a habit— since being out in public a lot caused the paparazzi, and Chris didn't want to bring too much attention to Carmen and her family.

Anna grinned, "I love her. She's too sweet."

"You two planned this whole thing?" Chris asked as the realization dawned on him. Anna laughed and as she nodded.

"Yeah, come on."

Chris stepped out of the car just seconds after Anna, and she ran around to the passenger side to get his bags out of the backseat. Once front passenger door was shut, Chris began to pick his bags off the ground and followed Anna into the building.

After the trip to their apartment, he could tell you how many stairs, how many levels and how many doors he passed. He could remember it all— even the dingy white carpet and the fading yellow wallpaper.

He watched as Anna unlocked the door and pushed it open.

"Annabelle, is that you?"

The sweet voice came from Carmen, and Chris grinned. It was finally happening, and he was overflowing with joy.

Anna laughed, "Yeah. I'm back!"

Chris could see over Anna and watched as Carmen turned the corner and leaving what he assumed to be the kitchen. Carmen's eyes lit up and her lips turned into a huge smile.

"Chris," she whispered, then she laughed. "I don't know whether to shake your hand or hug you."

Chris dropped his bags on the floor, glancing towards Anna as she moved away and sat on the couch. Once again, he grinned back at Carmen before the words left his lips.

"Just get over here and hug me!"

That was enough for Carmen, she padded her way over, feeling her share of nerves before she wrapped her arms around his torso. Immediately Chris felt loved and welcomed, laying his head on top of hers as his arms trapped her.

"I can't believe that I'm finally meeting you," Carmen murmured, and once again, his heart was filling with happiness.