twєntч-єíght: ѕhαdσw αnd flαmє

THE passageway led into a great cavern with ornate columns rising from floor to ceiling

THE passageway led into a great cavern with ornate columns rising from floor to ceiling. The light of the wizard's staff was not enough to shine upon the detail and design that was within the dwarven city. Aeardis reached deftly out to her side until she found Boromir's hand. She grasped it feebly and he understood the wonder in her eyes. Both she and his brother had marveled at the tales from Moria and the Noldorian Elves, seeing this with her own eyes was a culmination of nigh forty years.

Following Gandalf's lead, the Company passed under the northern arch, following the sliver of light that shone in the darkness. As they went along it the glimmer grew stronger, and they saw that it came through a doorway on their right. It was high and flat-topped, and the stone door was still upon its hinges, standing half open. Beyond it was a large square chamber. It was dimly lit, but to their eyes, after so long a time in the dark, it seemed dazzlingly bright, and they blinked as they entered.

Their feet disturbed a deep dust upon the floor and stumbled among things lying in the doorway whose shapes they could not at first make out. The chamber was lit by a wide shaft high in the further eastern wall; it slanted upwards and, far above, a small square patch of blue sky could be seen. The light of the shaft fell directly on a table in the middle of the room: a single oblong block, about two feet high, upon which was laid a great slab of white stone. Aeardis felt her throat tighten when Gimli cried out, it was a tomb. "Here lies Balin, son of Fundin, Lord of Moria," read the runes.

The dwarf fell to his knees, openly mourning. Aeardis stepped toward him, hesitant, but laid her hand upon his armored shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Gimli."

At length, they stirred and looked up, and began to search for anything that would give them tidings of Balin's fate, or show what had become of his kin. There was another smaller door on the other side of the chamber. By both the doors they could now see that many bones were lying scattered about, and among them were broken swords and axe-heads, and cloven shields and helms. Some of the swords were crooked, orc-scimitars with blackened blades, then there were crude arrows with crooked blunt tips of goblin make no doubt.

Among the remains was a book that had been slashed and stabbed at, it was so stained with black and other dark marks like old blood that little of it could be read. The wizard picked it up, carefully, and flipped to the last page of legible writing. Then he began to read: "The Watcher in the Water took Óin. We cannot get out. The end comes, and then drums... drums in the deep. The last thing that was written is in a trailing scrawl of elf-letters: they are coming. There is nothing more." Gandalf paused, closed the worn book and stood in silent thought. The sudden dread and horror of the chamber fell over the Company.

Aeardis looked up at the wizard, feeling like a small frightened child next to him, "Gandalf, we need to leave." She said in a grave tone. Something was not right, there was something amiss though she could not yet name what it was.

"Quite right, my dear." Gandalf had hardly spoken those words when there came a great noise. A rolling boom that seemed to come from depths far below, and trembled in the stone at their feet. They sprang towards the door in alarm. Doom, doom it rolled again as if huge hands were turning the very caverns of Moria into a vast drum. Then there came an echoing blast. A great horn was blown in the hall, and answering horns and harsh cries were heard further off. There was a hurrying sound of many feet.