thírtч-ѕєvєn: thє rєturn σf thє kíng

ALL things were now made ready in the city, though the lingering scars from the battle remained in certain levels. There was a great concourse of people, for the tidings had gone out into all parts of Gondor, from Min-Rimmon even to Pinnath Gelin and the far coasts of the sea; and all that could come to the City made haste. Minas Tirith was filled again with women and fair children that returned to their homes laden with flowers, and from Dol Amroth came the most skilled harpers in all the land, and the clear-voiced singers from the vales of Lebennin.

Aeardis had been gifted a fine gown of deep blue, the same sapphire shade of Boromir's own mantle. He had waited outside her chambers while the maids garbed her and made intricate braids with jewels and flowers within her dark hair. It was still early in the morning, with the sun not having rose yet. Yet the two walked past the Fountain Court and White Tree to look over the fields of Pelennor, now green and flowering again.

And when the sun rose in the clear morning above the mountains in the East, where shadows no longer lay, all the bells and trumpets rang, and all the banners broke and flowed in the wind. The White Tower of the citadel bore the standard of the Stewards, bright argent like snow in the sun was raised over Gondor for the last time.

It had seemed strange, at first, hearing others address him as the Steward, but the position had fallen to him upon his return. He was not a politician though, but a soldier and in truth, most of the affairs had been handled by his beloved. Though, after today the reign of the Stewards would come to an end.

Before the Tower Hall stood men at arms in silver and black with long swords drawn. Before the barrier stood Boromir the Steward, and his ladyship Aeardis of Tol Eressëa, and Galdor Warden of the Keys, and other captains of Gondor. His brother, the Lady Éowyn of Rohan with Elfhelm the Marshal and many knights of the Mark were present too and upon either side of the promenade was a great press of denizens.

A hush fell upon all as out from the Tower Hall stepped the Dúnedain in silver and grey, before them came Aragorn, Isildur's heir. He was clad in black mail girt with silver and wore a long mantle of navy clasped at the throat with a great jewel of green that shone from afar.

Boromir met Aragorn in the midst of those there assembled, and knelt, "the last Steward of Gondor begs leave to surrender his office." His father would have never surrendered the rule of Gondor to a stranger, yet for all their past disagreements, Boromir knew him to be noble and honest. Aragorn bade him rise. "That office has not yet ended, let it remain with the House of Húrin." He extended his hands and presented Boromir with the Horn of Gondor, once cloven in two but now repaired.

When the trumpets rang out, Boromir lifted the warhorn to his lips and a mighty sound resounded that echoed off the white stone. Gandalf came forward robed in all white and proclaimed before all those gathered: "Here is Aragorn son of Arathorn, chieftain of the Dúnedain of Arnor, Captain of the Host of the West, wielder of the Sword Reforged, victorious in battle, Elessar of the line of Valandil, Isildur's son, Elendil's son of Númenor."

Gimli stood next to the Wizard, bearing the crown of Gondor. Aragorn knelt before Gandalf, who held the ancient crown high and settled it upon his brow. "Now come the days of the King, may they be blessed."

And so began the Fourth Age of Middle Earth.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

In the days that followed his crowning, Aragorn sat on his throne in the Hall of the Kings and pronounced his judgments of those within the cities and from other close lands. Embassies came from many places, from the East and the South, and from the borders of Mirkwood, and from Dunland in the west.

Though this day had been dedicated to a meeting of the high council. Between Aeardis and Faramir, Aragorn did not have need of one more adviser and so Boromir tended to what remained of the broken army. Knowing his brother and beloved well, it was probably a mercy he was not there at the council meeting.