Chapter 10 ~ Bandages

I sit on the old squeaky stool, uneasily spinning from side to side in the cold, stale room.

I couldn't take my eyes off of his face. He looked so peaceful when he slept. His face was covered in purple and blue bruises, and certain parts were bandaged, but his beauty shined through. His chest rose lightly each time he took a slow breath, and his brown eyelashes battered slightly as he dreamed of something I might never know.

He was healing, he was going to be okay. Aspen was going to be okay.

But I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He was too amazing and I needed to protect him and not let anyone hurt him ever again, I know I have failed him this time. But I am determined, and will not let anyone ever hurt him again, ever. I love him, I love Aspen Adairs, and no one will ever hurt him again. I am going to make sure of it.

I was forced to tear my eyes a way from Aspen as the nurse, Mrs. Buffandy, started to talk to me. "Aspen is doing fine honey. From what we can tell he has no head trauma or corruptions, the effects should be temporary. I know you care honey, but I would let him sleep for a few more hours. Mkay?" She said politely and sweetly.

I silently mumbled, "Mkay," through my closed lips, nodding a little.

I did not want to wake up Aspen. I peered down down at his face caringly, then let my gaze wander. I looked to the colorful rows of stuffed animals lined up against the white, dead walls. The animals were all various colors of the rainbow, some more disturbing than others, but mostly comforting. Trying to lighten my mood, as my mind lingered to varying thoughts.

I wondered into my thoughts of deluded visions and distorted promises, I was about to disappear almost completely into the gray mist of my thoughts, when I heard a light nock on the wooden door frame.

My head shot up, my green/blue/gold eyes snapping awake.

The color flooded back to my cheeks once again, and I let out a silent sigh and relaxed when I realized who it was. A smile spread across my face and my eyes lit up as I said, "Come in!" To my Best Friend.

Koryssa enters the room. Her long, silky black hair cascading over her shoulders, slowing swaying as she enters the nurse's office, with slow careful steps. Her ice green, bright, wondrous eyes, bringing the room to a new life. A small smile, caring, put across her thin light pink lips. "Hello." She says in her sweet, innocent voice, a half whisper. "How is Aspen doing?" She asks directing her eyes to Aspen for a moment before returning her concerned, friendly, and loving eyes to mine, my eyes full of sorrow and hope.

" Good." I pause, "I think." My lips formed in a concerned straight line across my face.

Koryssa placed a reassuring hand on my back, trying to comfort me with her gentle touch, " He is going to be great." She says placing a bright smile upon her face, lighting up her features. Making me smile, too, stifling a foreign laugh. This girl's loving nature was contagious.

I turned to Aspen, a quick glance, not wanting to stare too long in fear of letting out pained cries. His breathing has slowed even more, into a more peaceful state than before. I sniff in slightly, but then hear light steps in the hall.

Koryssa and I turn our heads to the doorway.

James places his hand on the doorway's crest, slightly leaning into it. His light strawberry blonde hair was swept across his forehead, and his icy blue eyes were gazing into Koryssa's , then looking around the room, and at me, lamely limping over the stool next to Aspen's white bed. His pink lips curved into a closed-lip smile, white perfect skin practically glowing, curious, gentle, and caring, lovingly looking around, James was truly an Angelic figure, in his white t-shirt, faded jeans, and dark blue vans.