Chapter 6 - Constant Twilight

The fact of Roy's death overshadowed that house-in-waiting like a poisoned cloud. He had been murdered in his car two hours after delivering the thumb drive to Emil, and obviously that was no coincidence. For what reason had he been struck down? The cops considered it a message to the family. Do exactly as we say, or your little girl will be killed just like the guy who helped you out. "Exactly as we say" meant no communication with the cops, a tough order since the cops were all over the house. Well, not all over the house, I exaggerate, but there were two or three guys in plain clothes running the show, not hard bitten cops like on TV, but nice, soft spoken guys who were pretty much indistinguishable from friends and family.

 Well, not all over the house, I exaggerate, but there were two or three guys in plain clothes running the show, not hard bitten cops like on TV, but nice, soft spoken guys who were pretty much indistinguishable from friends and family

HA0478-029, HIghway's England, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

How to describe the atmosphere in that house during the tough, suspenseful hours of waiting? As I said, the curtains were drawn over all the windows looking out onto the street, so there was a feeling of constant twilight, with lamps lit low and muffled conversation. The reporters had no shame or respect, bunches of them sneaking to the back of the house with their cameras, trying to get shots of the family on the screened in porch, making no bones about shooting footage of the pool and garden and private areas. Alicia's mother wanted to sic Leo on them. The poor dog couldn't stop barking and there was talk of sending him to a kennel, but Alicia refused to be parted from him. Mostly he sat by her side, licking her hand with his big slobbery tongue and staring at her worriedly. The housekeeper walked him, plagued by reporters, telling them to go fuck themselves in peppery Spanish, even threatening to throw Leo's huge feces at them when they wouldn't back off.

 The housekeeper walked him, plagued by reporters, telling them to go fuck themselves in peppery Spanish, even threatening to throw Leo's huge feces at them when they wouldn't back off

Leo

The TV was constantly on, sound muted, and we saw footage of the house and pool, the housekeeper walking Leo, friends coming and going with their faces averted, and Alicia's fierce grey-haired mother, Roberta, who made the mistake of engaging the press, telling them in her Brooklyn accent that death was coming to those shits who had taken her granddaughter; she would personally hunt them to the ends of the earth if she didn't get her baby back. Whoa. That piece of footage went a little viral and was played over and over again. Certainly it was the only piece of entertainment we had in a darkened house where everyone was waiting desperately for the phone to ring. But here's the deal. It didn't ring. The kidnappers had their file from the bathroom drop off, but there was still no word about how or when we would retrieve Cecily Rose.