Chapter 54 - Victor's Product

"That's right," Eric said, as I stared at him, perplexed. "We've tried to grow the exact same herbs in other places. Uh unh, won't work. We can make powerful supplements from this particular product, but not from the same product grown elsewhere."

"That's crazy."

"Agreed. No one knows why, other than it has to do with Victor. He could grow that product anywhere, but he used formulae we can't duplicate and of course we can't duplicate his touch."

"So that's why you bought this place, to keep control of the greenhouse?"

Eric nodded.

"Is that what got Roy killed?"

Eric shook his head. "No one knows about the shed or what's growing in there," he said emphatically.

"Then why are you telling me?"

"To make you understand the importance of what I'm about to say."

Eric

Eric

We stared at one another a moment. Eric had such kind eyes that I would have believed anything he told me. But I wasn't prepared for the next thing he said, even though later, when I had a chance to think about it, I realized the logic of it in the midst of this crazy story. "Maria Danciu's daughter, Sabina?" he said.

I nodded, though it wasn't clear why Sabina's name was coming up at this particular juncture.

"Her name was on the thumb drive Emil gave to the kidnappers."

"Whaaat?"

"That's right

"That's right. It's long and complicated, but I'll explain." And then he began an account of the situation in words I will paraphrase. The whole story spelled danger and more danger. Here's what he said:

DNA,fdecomite, https://creativecommons

DNA,fdecomite, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

About eight months ago, perhaps in the late winter, Sabina gave a DNA sample to Ancestry.com. Presumably she wanted to know more about her heritage and who she was related to. When the results came in, the Lemberg Foundation was notified. Why? Because every time someone with a connection to the Gottlieb or Gurevich families shows up, the information is secretly forwarded to Eric who checks to see if there's a relationship to Victor's lineage. In Sabina's case, it was determined that she was seventy-five percent Ashkenazi Jew, and that she was directly related to Victor's Gurevich cousins in Toronto. This led to the belief that she probably came from great uncle Daniel's line and that her family might be in possession of the Bukh.