Chapter e i g h t

♥eight♥

ღdarling you'll be okayღ

"Miss. Brown? You need to wake up, it's time to remove your cast."

Through my swimming vision, I can barely make out Dr. Ryder and her pin-up styled hair. Mumbling an agreement, I sit up gingerly and notice Nurse Tessa is unhooking my bed from the wall. Figures, since there's no other way to move me. Abruptly, my breathing catches in my throat, gaining a look of concern from Dr. Ryder. It's not like I could help it, with Finn standing there like that. The early morning sunlight streams through our huge glass window and illuminates his silhouette, making him look both mysterious and magical simultaneously. I gulp, suddenly nervous about the removal of my cast. Isn't it close to my skin? What if the saw catches my skin?

"It's okay Mills," Finn says calmly while stroking my hand. "You'll be fine. Think happy thoughts."

Crinkling up my nose, I hold back a laugh.

"Is that right Peter?"

He doesn't reply, and instead gives me a wink. Nurse Tessa giggles and rolls her eyes with fake annoyance.

"Ugh, if you two get any sweeter I'll have to go to the dentist."

Finn's palely freckled cheeks dye crimson as he heads back to his bed, tank and sketchbook in hand. I wonder what other drawings he has in there.

"Ready Miss. Brown?"

"Ready Dr. Ryder." 

•••

Two minutes later, I'm in a huge operating room. The sterile white walls amplify the lights overhead, I think they're giving me a headache. Nurse Tessa is quickly typing something into a giant computer on my left-hand side; the pinging echoes throughout the room. Once she's finished, she stands up and hands me some bulky headphones and an iPod. She's about to turn around when I grab her black sleeve nimbly.

"Oh, um, this isn't mine," I say while waving the Apple device.

"I know, it's Finn's," she pauses to watch the surprise light up my face.

I wonder what she's thinking about my reaction.

"He told me he made a playlist for you to listen to while Dr. Heaton saws off your cast. It gets really loud."

Thanking her, I plug the headphones into the player and search the playlists till I find one entitled 'Mills ;)'. My heart leaps at the winking face, but I force myself to relax. It's just Finn being Finn Millie, it doesn't mean anything. Pressing shuffle, a song called 'My Kind Of Woman' by some guy named Mac Demarco comes on. I pause it as a grisly looking man walks into the room. He's wearing teal scrubs, so I'm guessing he's Dr. Heaton.

"Dr. Heaton, correct?"

He laughs heartily.

"That would be correct Millie. I'm just going to give you a little run-over of what the procedure is like then get started."

I nod and fold my hands in my lap as Dr. Heaton picks up a bizarre looking tool from a tray and shows it off in a sarcastic manner.