Chapter Twenty--Dan--Interrogated By Summer And Craig

After Phil left, I continued down to the fifth cabin. The Ares cabin.

The cabin itself was wooden, but there were splatters of what I hoped were red paint on the walls. The head of a boar was mounted over the steel door, with a design of two crossed spears.

As I got close, I glanced at the ground and noticed small metal things scattered about the cabin. I could tell they were under the ground, but why I could see them was a mystery. I leaned down to get a good look at one. It was a circle shaped metal disk with a red beeping button on the top. A land mine.

Nice to know my siblings are planting land mines around our cabin.

I avoided them as I approached the door. I stopped before I opened it. Should I knock or just go in? Before I could decide, it swung open. A burly girl with short brown hair stood above me, scowling.

"Um, hi." I averted my eyes from her face.

"What do you want?" her voice was gravelly, more like a man's than a woman's.

A voice called from behind her in the darkness of the cabin. "Let's interrogate him!"

The first girl grabbed my arm harshly and yanked me inside, slamming the door loudly. Another pair of hands grabbed my shoulders and forced me to sit on the ground. A bright light shined in my eyes, and I reached up to block it.

"State your name, age, occupation and why you're here," an unfamiliar gruff voice said.

"M-my name is Dan," I stuttered. Green spots were dancing at the edge of my vision, and I saw nothing but the light that was shone into my eyes. "I-I'm thirteen, and u-unemployed."

Something cold was pressed against my throat. "Why are you here?" The voice was deep and menacing.

I realized with a jolt that the cold thing was a sword. I squirmed and tried to shy away from it. The sword was only pressed harder against my throat, and my neck began to sting as it cut my skin. I stuttered and tried to speak, but fear paralyzed me.

Then suddenly the light in the place was flipped on.

"Okay guys, that's enough."

A girl with short auburn hair and glasses crossed her arms and glared at the people holding me down. One of whom was a girl with bright red hair and the angriest glare I have ever seen. The other who was a boy with black hair and green eyes. The girl was the one holding the sword to my neck.

"Summer," the auburn haired girl said. "Get your sword away from the poor kid's neck."

I gasped as the pressure was released from my throat, and grabbed my neck.

The girl with glasses sighed. "Why do you do these things Summer?"

Summer grunted. "He could have been spying on us."

The girl with glasses rolled her eyes and pulled me up. Her grip wasn't gentle, but her fingers weren't digging into my arm either.

"So Dan huh?"

I nodded, panting.

"I'm Morgan. What brings you here?"

I lowered my hand from my neck and glanced at it. It had some blood on it. "I got claimed," I gasped.

"Oh yeah," she nodded. "I think Will told me someone just got claimed by Ares. Sorry about Summer and Craig by the way, they're just assholes."

Summer scowled. "I should stab you for that."

Morgan ignored her. "Let me see your neck."

I hesitantly let her pull my chin up to stare at my throat. I didn't like people near my neck.

"Ah, you'll be fine," she let go of my chin and put a hand on my shoulder. "Well if you're the new kid, I'd better show you to your bunk." She steered me over to a bunk and sat me down on it. The sheets were red and black plaid. "Thanks," I said, looking at the blood on my hand. "Are you the head camper?"

She shook her head. "Clarise is. I'm the lieutenant."

"Well thanks. Do they do that with everybody?"

She nodded. "Yeah. Summer has some... issues. Craig just does everything she does."

"Was Clarise the girl who opened the door?"

"Yup."

"So you're new at camp huh?"

I nodded. "Just yesterday. Me and my friend Phil."

"How do you like it so far?"

I shrugged. "I don't really know. My life wasn't really interesting at all, and this certainly is, but a lot of stuff has happened, and I've been in the infirmary twice already."

Morgan laughed. "Yeah that'll happen. We have a lot of accidents here. Especially in the Ares cabin."

"Great."

She laughed again. "Well, I gotta go. Training. Don't make eye contact or conversation with Summer unless you have to." She stood and smiled at me as she left.

I sat staring at the floor for a bit longer until a pair of black combat boots appeared.

"Hey punk." Oh gods, it was Summer.

"Hi," I muttered. My heart beat faster.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you."

Hesitantly, I looked up, avoiding contact with her eyes, which were a strange teal color.

She growled, and a fist made contact with my face. I fell back onto the sheets, my nose throbbing and bleeding.

She picked me up with one hand by the neck of my shirt and pulled me up to her face.

"You made a fool of me."

I wanted to speak up, to tell her that I didn't, but my voice died in my throat. My feet dangled in the air, and I kicked about.

She threw me on the floor and gave me a swift kick to the ribs. Then she walked away.

I stared under the darkness of my bed.

I don't think I like it here.

|A/N: Don't worry, the actual plot starts really soon XD|