Chapter 23

Three days, she'd been stuck in this bed for three days. At least Ellie was home now and she was more than happy to sit in here with her. It seems the little girl has a crush on Blake Weston, but then what little girl wouldn't? He was a very handsome little boy. She saw the way Ellie followed Blake around when their families were together and he was always so patient and kind to her. Nothing like you would expect a little boy to act towards a neighbor's child. All of Ellie's stories from the past few days involved Blake in some capacity.

"Mama?"

Hope looked up, still not used to being called Mama. Well, she'd have to get used to it since there were two babies on the way. "Yes, Sweetie?"

"Why do you keep smiling?"

"Well." She couldn't tell her the real reason she was kept smiling. But dog gone it, Ellie was just so darn cute with her crush on Blake Weston. "I – I'm just so happy about the babies. They're safe, and your Papa and I found out that we are having twins. Aren't you happy about it?"

"Oh, yes ma'am. I can't wait. When will they be here?"

"Doc Baker said they could come any time after the end of June. So we still have a few months to plan things and make clothes and blankets and get their room ready."

"Can I help you? I really want to help." Ellie was practically jumping up and down, something she did when she was excited.

"You can help as much or as little as you want. Now, tell me more of what you did over at the Double C."

Levi and his men had turned the Triple L upside down but nobody found any sign of a trespasser. No more missing cattle, no more fences down, nothing. It only added to the fury building inside of him. He knew that it had been Jed. He wasn't perfect, but overall he was a good person. Besides, he didn't know of anyone that was upset with him, except Jed.

He walked into the barn to meet with Tuck. "Ok, tell me what you've found?" Levi asked even though he knew what the answer would be.

"Nothing. We still haven't found anything. Nothing's out of place or missing."

"Dammit! I know it was Jed. That son of a bitch almost killed my wife and children. I will find him and I can promise you it's not going to be good either!" Levi snatched his hat off his head, slapped it against his thigh, and paced back and forth in the dim light of the barn.

"Levi." Tuck said as he grabbed his boss and friends arm stopping him. "I know it's none of my business and you might just tell me to go to hell, but what happened with Jed? I mean, y'all were friends and he worked for you since you've been in Red Valley."

"You're right. It's none of your business." He said, then stopped. Closing his eyes, he turned to face the wall of the barn. With his head down, he propped one hand against the wall. Tuck stood behind him unmoving. "I thought Jed was my friend." Levi turned back around to face the other man. "What I'm going to tell you goes no further, do you understand?"

Tuck nodded his head. "Levi, you know I won't say anything to anybody. I'm not like those old hens in town."

"I know Tuck, it's just that nobody knows about this. It's just not something that a man wants to be public knowledge." He took a deep breath, leaned against the rough plank wall, then propped his foot against it. "Alicia and I slept together one time. Actually, I don't even remember it. I was drunk, she let herself into my hotel room, and well, Ellie was born nine months later. We moved here and I hired Jed."

Levi looked around to make sure that no one was around to hear his next statement. "I hated Alicia. She'd tried her best to catch my attention when I first moved to Bankston. But, I knew what kind of a person she was, even then. I told her that I would never touch her again and I didn't." He stood there for a minute waiting for that information to sink in for Tuck.