When?

I'm a big big girl
In a big big world
It's not a big big thing if you leave me
But I do do feel that
I do do will miss you much
Miss you much...  

And it was true. I missed Zach.

Every day felt like struggling with my own life no matter how much support I had from my friends. Most of them were mutuals I was sharing with him so now it was their turn to pick sides. Unfortunately, almost all of them chose his.

Today was the days I had to get out in the world to do something I never imagined I would have to.

It was time to sign my divorce papers. It was also time to get back to my old surname. To no longer be a Kornfeld.

"How could this happen? When did this happen?" I whisper-said, hugging myself the way I used to 5 years ago. Ever since I had gotten married to Zach I never hugged myself again. And here I was again - crying, listening to sad songs while trying to remember when did we get so wrong.

I knew it wasn't all my fault but now it felt that way. Maybe if Zach hadn't found the paper with the taxi driver's number we would have still been a couple. If I hadn't asked him to pick up my phone.

It was all my fault.

I was living alone for a month in a almost empty flat in Los Angeles. Zach nearly kicked me out of the flat in the morning after our biggest fight. He thought I was cheating on him, I accused him of drinking too much and not spending time with me anymore. The fight ended with him throwing a bottle of whiskey at me, luckily I avoided it. But I still had faith in us, hoped that we would fix everything. Fix us.

Two days later, right after I found a temporary room for myself, I got a call from an unknown number. Expecting a prank call from Zach or one of the guys I answered, just to be faced with my husband's lawyer. He delivered me Zach's desire for divorce. 

This must have been the worst day of my life. There was something that stung even more than just the fact of Zach not wanting me in his life anymore - it hurt he wasn't the person to report me about that. In fact, we did not exchange a single word since he told me to get out.

He didn't even bother answering my calls or my texts. He never tried to contact me as well. It felt as if I was dead to him. And now I had to get ready and face him and his lawyer at the court. 

A normal thing like washing my hair felt so weird to do and even getting dressed in formal clothes was uncomfortable. Every single item I owned was too large for me but right now I couldn't care less. One look in the mirror was enough to get changed into more comfortable clothes: jeans and a simple oversized hoodie. Pushing my phone inside the big pocket beside the wallet, I left the room I rented.

The smell of this old kitchen hit me in the nose as soon as I stepped out. This flat was a shared one, leaving me with a couple of dirty students that weren't able to clean after theirselves. If the old Kiara would freak out and tell them to fuck off, the new me just didn't care. 

Streets of LA were full with people unlike my inside that was empty like hell. I was so used to aching that I forgot what it felt like to be happy. Or to have any feelings at all.

"210 W Temple Street," I sighed to my taxi driver while entering the cab. I didn't even try to greet him or keep up a conversation with him. I only wanted to get this done as soon as possible.

"Divorce court? Aren't you too young to be married?" I sighed, meeting wrinkly eyes of the driver in the mirror.

"Aren't you too boring to be talking?" I shot back, making him quiet for the rest of the ride.

"That will be 22 bucks," He quietly said at the end of the ride, me throwing him 30. 

"Keep the change," I bit my lip, as I saw a very familiar person entering the building. I started convincing myself to keep my calm but my feet didn't listen. I started running upstairs just to catch a sight of him again.

"Zach, wait!" I screamed after him, feeling tears forming in my eyes.

He was actually there in front of me, opening the door. I saw his movements stopped as he heard my voice and I started running faster to get to him.

"Zach," I nearly cried as he turned around to face me, immediately noticing how great he looked. As broken and tired I was he was definitely my opposite. His haircut was neatly done, his clothes were ironed and fashionable, putting me in a worse position.

"Hi," He nervously said, scratching the back of his head. "Kiara," He added, examining my look.

"Zach," I just repeated again and couldn't hold myself back anymore. My skinny arms wrapped around his well known torso, squeezing him tightly as if my life was depending on him. I felt him tensing up, his heartbeat racing faster and breathing getting louder. As I inhaled deeply I spotted his smell was still the same and so many memories of us came back. 

But there was nothing about this hug that felt right. Even if my stomach had bugs and my head was spinning, Zach's gestures were telling me he was not amused about it. 

"I'm sorry," Although he was never a muscular man it surprised me how little strength it took him to push me away. "Can we not get this even more uncomfortable?"

My green dull eyes met his. These were ice cold blue eyes that he never ever used on me before. His whole face was letting me know how much he hated being there, spending his precious time with me. The pose he was holding was not welcoming as well, making me step back and take my defence pose again.

"Let's get this over quickly," I murmured, squeezing myself past him to enter the court.

When did we grow apart?

~*~

Hi guys!

A shorter chapter before the week starts. I hope you liked it and if you did, vote for it and let me know what your fave part was!

Kiach is over... How could Zach handle it so easily?

Love you all :*