Chapter 3

“Farah, I don't know why you are making such a big deal. It's just a little bug.” Cal says, taking off his shoe to kill the ginormous spider.

  “Whatever! That thing is huge!” I shriek. Cal sighs and places the brown blanket over the squished spider. I let out a breath of relief, sitting down on the cold blanket.

  “Are you hungry? I could cook some hot dogs now, and we could have smores after we swim.”

  “Yeah I'm starving.” Cal smiles and pulls a package of hot dogs out of the cooler. He places four of them over the fire he had made when we first made it to the open field. He begins to cook the hot dogs, turning them every so often.

  “Cal, can I ask you something?” I say softly.

  “Sure Farah, what is it?” I stare at the ground, unable to choke out the words. What was I doing? I knew Cal didn't love me, but for some reason I needed an answer.

  “Cal, have you...have you ever thought about-about us?” I spit out the words, not daring to look up into his eyes. There is a pause before he speaks.

   “What-what do you mean?” He chokes.         

   “I mean have you ever thought about us being more than friends?” Cal doesn't speak for what seems like eternity. I chance a look at his face, and I notice his expression. There isn't anger, or confusion. There is only...passion.

   “Uh, um no I haven't. Why, have you?” He looks at me, hope lying in his brown eyes.

   “No, I was just wondering, you know, because people always ask if we are a couple.” I laugh uncomfortably.

   “Yeah, ha I know. Um the hot dogs are done.” Cal quickly changes the subject, placing a hot dog on a bun and handing it to me.

   I stuff the hot dog in my mouth, wanting to forget what I had asked. How could I ever consider the thought that Cal actually loved me? How could he ever love me?

  “How is your hot dog?” Cal asks, taking a seat next to me.

  “Great. Maybe you should be a cook instead of a baseball player.” Cal smiles.

  “Maybe.” We finish our hot dogs, not talking much. By the time we are done the sun is setting beyond the green forest in the distance, perfect time for a dip in the pond.

  “You ready to swim?” Cal asks, standing up.

  “Of course.” Cal grabs his swim suit and heads twenty feet away from me, turning his back so we cant see each other. We both change quickly, heading to the turquoise pond a hundred feet away.

  “I can't believe Old Man Creek hasn't caught us out here yet. We have been coming here since we were fifteen.” Cal says.

  “I know. You would think we would have been caught by now.” I reply. We walk closely together, approaching the large pond.

  Cal stares at me for a few moments, taking in all my features. “You have changed a lot since we first met in seventh grade.” He remarks. “I remember you used to be short, and your hair was short, too.”

  “I wasn't the best looking thing in seventh grade.” I laugh. “But you were.” Silence fills the air like a disease. Not one word is spoken for several minutes. Finally, we reach the pond.

  “Hey Farah,” Cal says, “look.” He points off in the distance towards a huge oak tree. I turn to look at the tree and before I know it, I am being pushed in the water. Cal's laughter rings throughout the open field.

  “Cal! That's not funny!” I shout.

  “Hey, if you were standing were I am, it would be funny.” He says between bouts of laughter.

  “Whatever. Here, help me up.” I extend my hand and he grabs onto it. In one fluid motion I pull him into the water with me. Now its my turn to laugh.

  “How is that for funny?” I ask.

  “Okay, maybe its not that funny.” He shakes his head causing his sandy blonde hair to fling water all over my face.

  “Watch it, Fido.” I laugh.

  “Ruff, ruff!” He shouts, licking my face. I laugh and splash water on him. Cal licks me one last time before swimming to the other end of the pond. I swim in one spot, closing my eyes and back stroking.

  I think for a moment about the days events. It was official, Cal and I were to stay best friends for the rest of our lives. We would never be more than merely two people forever lost in the thought of each other. Cal was my everything, and even though he didn't love me, I would forever to continue to love him.