Chapter 6

* Farah's P.O.V *

  Confusion leaks through the cracks of my shattered memory. Why won't Cal answer my phone calls? Its been a week since he got out of the hospital, and ever since then he has been ignoring me. I just don't understand. I didn't do anything wrong, did I? He won't return my calls, reply to my texts, and he won't even answer the door when I go to his house. I just don't understand.

  “Farah, where are you going?” My mom asks as I head down the stairs.

  “To Cal's,” I reply. She stops me at the door.

  “Farah, don't you think you should give it some time?”

  “Mom it's been a week. I don't understand why he keeps ignoring me.” I reply.

  “Maybe...maybe he just needs his time. Leave him alone, Farah. Let him come to you.” I sigh heavily, my eyes watering.

  “No! I don't want him to come to me! I just...I just want my best friend back!” I say, tears streaming from my eyes.

  “Shh, it's okay.” My mom says, wrapping her arms around me. “Everything will be okay.”

  “I just...don't understand why he wont talk to me.”

  “Maybe he's just tired, Farah. He did just get out of the hospital.”

  I wipe my eyes, looking at my mom. Her graying brown hair is up in a bun and her face is aged.

  “Yeah, okay. I'm just gonna take a walk. I need some fresh air.” My mom nods in agreement. I sigh and head out the door, standing there for a moment. I stare across the empty street at Cal's house. His black SUV is parked in the paved driveway, and the curtains are closed. It seems as if the house is dead, not moving. Silence fills the air, thick like ice. I can't help but wonder what Cal is doing at this very moment, what he is thinking.

  I start down my paved driveway, out onto the sidewalk when I hear a noise. I look up and notice Cal walking out of his house. He stops abruptly when he notices me, not saying a word. I smile and wave, expecting a hello, or whats up? But I don't get a response. Instead, Cal opens the door of his car, jumping inside. He doesn't dare look at me as backs out of his driveway and heads down the street.

  I don't move. I just stand there, watching his car drive quickly down the black road. Suddenly tears fall from my eyes. My breathing quickens and I find myself gasping for air. I didn't know it would hurt this bad. I didn't know his silence could cut me worse than hateful words. I didn't know I could bleed on the inside and not die. I didn't even know I could cry this much.

  Anger fills my mind as I stare at Cal's now empty driveway. I run down the sidewalk and through the trees. I run until I can't run anymore, finding myself among the trees. That is where I crumble, falling to the grassy earth. I beat the ground with my fist, mad and angry. Cal is my best friend and has been my whole life. Why in the hell is he ignoring me? Why wont he talk to me? That is a question I don't think I'll ever have the answer to.