Chapter 26: A Beautiful Mess

THE SONG ON THE SIDE IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES AND SINCE IT IS IN THIS CHAPTER, YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO IT WHEN IT POPS UP!
IT'S A Beautiful Mess by Jason Mraz

_____

Gabe

Odeletta has been at the door for a full minute.

"I wonder who it is." Nathan says. He starts to get up.

And then we heard a scream. It's not like the scream of somebody being playfully chased by their boyfriend, it's a blood curdling scream that sounds like somebody is being murdered.

We're all on our feet, every single one of us, sprinting outside.

Jacob is yanking Odeletta towards a van and she's clawing at his hand trying to get him to release her but she's having a panic attack at the same time and she's screaming.

She's screaming so loud that people walking on the New York streets stop.

I see Nathan running and yanking Jacob off of Odette by the back of his shirt, hard. She falls down too, gasping. I come up behind her and wrap my arms around her, lifting her away.

"Somebody go stop Nathan before he ends up with murder charges!" I shout as I watch my cousin raise his fist. I leave Odeletta on the ground screaming and me, Mason, Matthew, Jackson, and Julian charge at Nathan. I pull him back but he shrugs my arm off.

The look on his face is one I've never seen before. He looks like a killing machine. I see Peyton on the phone with the police and I already hear sirens before she even hangs up. It takes all five of us men to restrain Nathan before she kills Jacob.

Jacob gets up to run but Josh, Uncle Liam, my Dad, and Uncle Henry charge at him, forcing him to his knees.

The women are watching in shock, Odeletta is screaming, and Nathan is breathing hard.

"Nate." I say.

"Let me go." He growls.

"Snap out of it! Odeletta needs you right now!" I snarl. "Are you trying to go back to jail? Go to your fiancé!"

He blinks a few times.

Nathan

When I saw him dragging Odeletta like that, everything went back.

I come to. And see Gabe in front of me.

"Snap out of it! Odeletta needs you right now!" He hisses. "Are you trying to go back to jail? Go to your fiancé!"

I blink, noticing Jacob behind me, forced to the ground by all the fathers.

I hear sirens, but mostly, I hear Odeletta screaming.

"Let go of me." I say.

They release me, all of them tense.

It took Gabe, Mason, Julian, Jackson, and Matthew to restrain me.

I run to Odette.

"Odeletta." I say, putting my hands on her face. "You're safe, you're safe. I'm here." I pull her into my lap and at the feeling of my arms around her, she stops screaming. She's breathing so erratically, her whole body shaking in my arms.

I can feel her shaking and whimpering against me as the police officers show up, and I'm relieved to see Larik is one of them. I carry her to the porch and sit down. She's breathing okay again and I watch as the cops arrest Jacob.

"Look baby." I say. "He's going to jail."

I feel her head shift on my shoulder and we both watch as they handcuff him and he gets shoved into the back of a cop car.