Chapter 4

Letta sighed as she laid on the pillow of grass. She chewed on the end of a wheat straw as she stared up to the blue sky as the clouds passed over. Her eyes eased closed until she heard unknown footsteps pushing through the field. She shielded her eyes as a figure hovered above her. "There you are. I've been looking for you everywhere!"

Letta rolled her eyes as she sat up, "What do you want Demetrio?"

She gave him a surprised look as he eased down beside her, "I wanted to come speak with you."

Letta stared at ground as she pulled up strands of wheat, "I'm sorry, but I left my water pail back home, please fetch your own water."

Demetrio clenched his jaw to the side as he studied her, "Ok, fair enough; please forgive me for how I spoke to you the other day."

"Why did you do it?" Letta's focus remained on the grass.

Demetrio rolled his head, "Call it male arrogance Letta. I've been surrounded by it for the last five years. Women that I've seen these past years have either been on their backs or serving food. I have never met a woman more educated than I in business or mathematics."

Letta's brow wrinkled as she kept her thoughts to herself.

"What are you thinking Letta?" Demetrio was trying to read her expression.

"Were these women there by free will?" She began to pull more strands more aggressively.

"Which ones?"

"All of them!?" She pursed her lips as she anticipated his answer.

"Well no.. they were slaves.."

Letta spoke through gritted teeth, "Did you use these women?"

Demetrio was wishing he had a noble answer but had regret in his eyes, "Yes."

"How.. could you? How could you use someone like that?" Letta's expression softened to sorrow as she looked to him, "Those women were little girls once, daughters, sisters.. but you used them like they were nothing."

Demetrio looked down as he gently tried to rock his guilt away. He quietly thought to himself, "How can she make me feel so small."

"I'm not trying to hurt you Demetrio, I only want you to see it from a different view. My mother was a slave, but by the grace of God, your father bought both of us and set us free." Letta gently grabbed his hand to comfort him. "Could you have used me like that if you knew who I am now?"

Demetrio raised his sad eyes to hers and shook his head, "Of course not. I would hurt anyone who would try to hurt you."

"Why would you do that? You hardly know me."

"Because it would break my fathers heart if I didn't protect you. I see what a mistake I've made. Could you forgive me?" Demetrio searched her eyes for sympathy.

"It's not I who has to forgive you. You must forgive yourself. To do so, you must treat everyone with kindness and respect. Do you think you can do that?"

Demetrio looked past her as he thought for a moment, "I.. I don't know.."

Letta smiled as she squeezed his hand, "I must say, I appreciate your honesty, that's a wonderful start."

Demetrio smiled as he raised her hand and kissed the back of it.