False Alarm

The three friends stared at the door as the knocking continued with no sign of it stopping any time soon. Sasuke turned to face [Name] as his eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room. She, in turn, nodded in his direction. He crept up beneath the handle and placed his index finger and thumb, steadily on the lock.

"On 3, you jump at this person..got it?" Sasuke whispered to [Name] who once again nodded.
Her heart was pounding in her chest. It would be her against a trained assassin who had probably killed thousands of other people. It didn't matter though did it? It is to protect Naruto, and as his best friend it is her duty to ensure he is safe. However, he rejected her gift just moments ago and instead enjoyed a kiss right before her very eyes. Then again she was the one who was trying to get Hinata and Naruto together. She had no right to feel jealous.

Her train of thought was cut off by the sound of the lock slowly turning.
"1..."
Her breath became hitched.
"2..."
Her heartbeat was becoming louder and faster.
"3!"
The lock was free and the door swung open as [Name] lunged at the unsuspecting perpetrator on the other side of the wooden door.

"Hey! What the heck?!"
A teenager voice cried out from beneath [Name]. She opened her eyes and pinned down her victim only to see the eyes of Shikamaru Nara, glaring deep into her soul. "Shikamaru?"

"What are you doing upstairs? The party is downstairs. Everyone should be there." Sasuke attacked, not giving the boy a chance to explain.
"Listen...I wouldn't be here if I didn't have to be..." Shikamaru sighed.

Meanwhile, Naruto had reappeared as he emerged from his hiding place in the cupboard, staring at the female figure spread across [Name]'s bed. He had figured out exactly what was going on. "Um..guys...I think I know why Shikamaru would be up here."

Sasuke and [Name] turned to see the girl asleep on the bed with saliva running down her mouth. It was none other than the female of the Sand Siblings, Temari. "Wait so...what?" [Name] said in annoyance. Thinking was the last thing she wanted to be doing at this time of the night.
"Well, you see...Temari over there, had a little too much to drink. Kiba snuck in a few drinks and people are getting wasted downstairs. I'm supposed to be keeping an eye on her so I went out to the pharmacy to get some medication. I was trying to get back in but the doors were locked for some reason..."

"Ooh yeah..sorry for that..." [Name] chuckled and got up from the Nara boy.

"So it was him...no threat then." Sasuke bluntly added.
"Yeah, now if you'll excuse me, I have to get missy here, back home." Shikamaru groaned as he picked up the young lady, in a bridal-style manner before descending the stairs and leaving the home.

Soon the party was over and Tsubaki had arrived with Fugaku. Much to their disappointment, they had travelled to the home and found nothing to investigate, leaving them with nothing to do for the few hours that the party remained going until midnight. Luckily, their efforts hadn't gone to waste. The teenagers were always thankful for a few helping hands where cleaning up is concerned. Especially seeing as the alcohol was snuck in which [Name]'s father made very clear that he would not tolerate in his home.

Hinata had also decided to remain behind and help. Naruto and her, spent most of the time talking and flirting. Doing couple things while [Name] agonisingly endured it all and continued cleaning up her area of the home.
"Hey..you okay?" Tsubaki asked in concern as he approached the 17 year-old girl.

"Oh yeah, perfect.." She smiled and continued dumping beer bottles into the black trash bag she was using.

"You don't look good at all." He mumbled and helped her clean up the living area.
"Well, I guess I'm just exhausted." [Name] lied and found the rag dolls.
She stared at them for a moment before shaking her head and reminding herself that it was worthless now before tossing into the bag.

"Hey! Why don't you chill with me next Saturday?" Tsubaki excitedly suggested.

"Wouldn't that be odd to everyone around us...I mean..17-year-old girl...20-something-year-old guy-"

"24...I am still young! It'll be fun! Trust me!" He cajoled.
[Name] was hesitant. Her family had known the young man for some time. He would come visit and study when he was still attending high school, but once he graduated and went on to University, she saw much less of him. Rumours went around after that about Tsubaki having girlfriend after girlfriend, abusing each one and soon enough he was serving a few months in prison. Other rumours went about that he had gotten himself mixed up with the wrong crowd and fallen into gangsterism and drugs.

"Hey, c'mon...please? We could just head out to the park and have a little picnic there. Or perhaps go to a mall?" Tsubaki reassured as he identified the facial expression of fear and discomfort on [Name]'s face.

She looked up at him once more and saw the smile on his face. The same one he always wore when he would come over on occasions to play with her and help out with chores around the house. And even babysit herself and Naruto when they decided they wanted to play in the park or go ahead and enjoy some delicious Ichiraku Ramen downtown.
He was the same Tsubaki as then. She remembered how when he sometimes visited, they would spend the most time together, playing games such as: 'Hide-and-seek', 'Red-light, Green-light' and 'Tag'.

Perhaps a day to reconnect would do good for them. Besides, Naruto seemed preoccupied with Hinata. Not to mention the fact that Hinata would never take her eyes off Naruto so there was no reason for [Name] to play bodyguard. There was nothing holding her back.
"Alright then. Saturday it is."

"Great! I'll meet you in the park."