CHAPTER 11: Isla De Muerta

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ 11 ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

       THAT TERRIBLE EVENING had ceased for the morning and had replaced by the low fog that drifts out to the seas of Isla De Muerta. The HMS Interceptor finally her white sails set and slips through the sound-deadening fog.

       "Bear three points starboard." Jack leaned over and studied into his compass, cradled by my both hands. He almost like he's praying to find the way.

       On the compass - the face shows old-fashioned rose petal style direction markers below a quivering indicator that settles on — southeast.

       Although, how I wondered last night, how in the world the compass didn't worked to him? I thought he knew what he had wanted...

       Suddenly a strange shape emerges from the fog, huge and reaching - the wreckage of a ship dashed on the reefs, graveyard of ships that never returned from the cursed island.

       A fearful looked down at the water. Though, I wanted to go home...

       Jack turned the wheel, adjusting course. The ship leaned into the new direction, until suddenly the compass indicator spins, reverses, settles on — northeast. He continued, "Six points port."

       I wondered, quite figured out the indicator spinned more complicated now. It seemed it won't worked to me anymore and so I gave it back to Jack instead. I marched down into the deck, joining the crew to watch the water.

       Will worked on the deck, coiling a rope. I perched myself on the barrels.

       Gibbs hobbled up, "Left-handed ropes are coiled against the sun, or it's bad luck!" Gibbs twirled a finger, "Anty-clockwise."

       Gibbs took over the task and finished it. The ship shifted course again.

       "Dead men tell NO tales!" The parrot perched on a railing. The mast of a sunken ships grazed the hull of the Interceptor. The crew become watchful and tense.

       "Puts in a chill in the bones, how many honest sailors have been claimed by this passage." Gibbs reflected as everyone of us stared into the eerie water.

       Will and Gibbs moved away towards a sail, Will began to ask, "How is it that Jack came by that compass?"

       We turned and glanced speculatively at Jack's direction.