CHAPTER 20: Into The Gallows

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ 20 ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

       THE NEXT DAY, it was already morning and it's quite windy, notifying we're back in the Port Royal. I snapped my eyes open to see what's going on. Everyone's preparing themselves and apparently there's trouble. The surviving Barbossa's crew members were taken back to Fort Charles to be executed, but soon escaped the clutches of the Royal Navy. In fact, I hadn't seen Jack since we left the Dauntless earlier today, but the British Royal Navy are bound on Jack Sparrow this time and the trials must proceed.      

       "Anything else, Miss Faye?"

       I snapped my eyes out of reverie. The sailor man named 'Benedict' from the Dauntless called me and handed me the long coat and a nice hat as I had requested. I assured he was quite familiar. I've been thinking of this since I met him. In fact, he is very kind and polite. I'll give him that. "I'm all set, thank you."

       Beneath a blue sky lies the bucolic town of Port Royal, built on a natural harbor. Just then I walked outside and I noticed a macaw bird squawking at us from the sky, and the bird landed into the post. Suddenly, Will saw the bird and looked at me, "...Cotton's parrot."

       "The Black Pearl." I said in quiet tone. In that moment, we turned around and narrowed into the horizon, hoping if there's a black sails in the distance but it's nowhere there. Will turned and said. "They've come for Jack. I hope that's the signal."

       I dig into my pocket and grab Jack's compass, and the needle keeps spinning. "I guess this pursuits isn't quite over yet." I said. "So, what are you going to now, Mr. Turner?"

       Will just smiled. "...Something incredibly stupid. Care to join me?"

       Out of our reverie, Elizabeth called me and I followed her into the carriage. We are already dressed except I refused to wear heavy velvet dress like Elizabeth, so I wore trousers, long coat and a hat instead. Now I herded into the carriage and Elizabeth straightens her back, gathers her skirts and strides past Will. "Good day, Mr. Turner."

       Will gazed into her eyes and never said a word after but I knew he was about to say something to her but doesn't. Not long, the carriage moved forward and make way into the stronghold place.

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

       The loud hum of drums was already being played. It is the courtyard on top of Fort Charles. A trial is underway with Jack as the defendant.

       It burst my anxiety. I stifled to look ahead and drifted with worry. Even I knew what will going to happen later but it was terrifying. It felt like real.