CHAPTER 10: Before The Mast

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ 10 ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

       I SNAPPED MY eyes open and I figured, it was already morning.

       "Ah, you're awake." Suddenly Jack came in my sight, as it seems he's looking for something.

       I looked around in my position, and Will was no where in site. I stifled a yawn and began to ask Jack. I winced, "Did I just snore?"

       "Haven't heard of it." He said, he didn't found what his looking for so he walked upstairs.

       I rolled my eyes and sighed. I must have fallen into deep slumber.

       "And still not dreaming..." I remarked, whispering at myself.

       I lifted myself up with a limp body I carried then I padded upstairs on ship's deck and meet them there. That's weird.

       I looked around outside the ship. I figured we weren't as close to the docks.

       "Where's the crew?" Will asked.

       "There!" Jack pointed for us, right into the docks.

       Jack sauntered towards me and grabbed the oars. I furrowed my brows in wonder. The three of us hopped down into the long boat. Jack silently rowed us toward the docks.

       "Shut-eyed and pristine! I am relished meeting you." Gibbs greeted us. I greeted back while Will just gave him a greeted smile, then Will gave me a hand out of the dinghy. I thanked him.

       Jack took a glance into a bunch of supplies placed on the docks. He grabbed a green apple from the sack. We proceeded walking until we meet a disheveled, motley and weather beaten group of about a dozen swabs stand in a ragged line-up.

       "Feast your eyes, Cap'n. All of 'em faithful hands before the mast, every man worth his salt and crazy, to boot." Gibbs stated.

       We moves down the line, giving a contemplative look at a diminutive sailor.

       "So THIS is your able-bodied crew?" Will looked unimpressed.

       The crew looked innocent. Jack nods, continues. He stops in front of Cotton, an old sailor with colorful parrot on his shoulder.  Jack rose an eyebrow, "You, sailor!"

       "Cotton, sir." Gibbs corrected.

       "Mr. Cotton. Do you have the courage and fortitude to follow orders and stay true in the face of danger and almost certain death?" Jack asked, and waits for the answer, "Mr. Cotton! Answer me!"