The Silence Has Been Broken

Justin's POV

"Mystique?" I called out, feeling around the car for her.

I winced as I caught sight of my right arm. It was punctured with glass shards. I shook my head, trying to shake the image.

Mystique is what mattered right now.

I finally found her in the most obvious place; the passenger seat. She was slumped over, barely conscious.

"Baby, please. We have to get out, we have to run. They're coming!" I knew it wasn't the best thing to do, but I shook her.

"Please.. Please.." I was begging now.

"Justin?" her voice was clouded, like it was hard for her to speak.

"Yes sweetheart, it's me. Can you move your legs?" I asked, my tone full of worry.

She made a soft noise, and repositioned her body to get out.

"Yes, just like that. Here, I'll help you," I offered, helping her out of the car window.

I climbed out next, struggling to get to my feet. I definitely had a few injuries.

Mystique was already on her feet, blinking rapidly. Once she'd gotten out whatever she thought was in her eye, she'd stretched, and stopped blinking so fast.

"They're coming?" she croaked, looking out at the road.

I nodded desperately, pulling her forward and bursting into a sprint. We darted over the flat plain, not stopping to catch our breath.

As we ran, I could tell exactly what my injuries were. Slight concussion, glass shards wedged in my right arm and left leg, a few bruises here and there, and smoke lingering in my throat and lungs. It was excruciating to run.

Mystique seemed to have just as hard of a time as I. She stumbled, tripping occasionally, wobbling slightly as she struggled to keep up with me. For the sake of being caught, I did not slow down.

It was only a matter of time until they sank their dogs on us. And we would not outrun them.

I looked to my left, and looked to my right. There was nothing for miles.

Suddenly, I remembered something. I started patting my pockets, silently praying my phone was there.

It was.

I dialled Steve's number, but it did not go through. There wasn't any signal.

"There they are!" I heard shouts from the distance.

Familiar shouts.

"Justin, Mystique, turn around! Come on!" it was Derek, it was Derek.

"C'mon," I muttered, turning Mystique around and bolting back to the scene of our crash.

"We don't have much time, let's go," Derek informed us, dragging us into the stolen cop car in which he'd be using to help us escape.

"Shit, they're injured," Max cursed, growling lowly as he climbed into the backseat with us.

And that's how we escaped: Derek driving, Jacob in the passenger seat, ready to shoot if needed, and Max treating Mysitque and I's wounds with a stolen first aide kit.

The bodies of those dreaded police officers lay far behind us, cold and dead, lying on the ground. I couldn't help but think, that could've been us.