Chapter 12

Music:

Halfway Gone- Life House

_____________

"What can I get for you?" The well-dressed bartender asks. His dark, long-hair is pushed back, allowing his brown eyes to be seen.  His eyes were on mine, and I couldn't help but smile awkwardly.

"Two apple martinis" Josh orders him. I could hear the antipathy in his voice. The bartender cracks a smile and turns to make the drinks.

I took a seat at the glass bar that reflected the lights that were blinking about the building. Josh stood near me, his hand on the small of my back.

"So" I say in attempt to make conversation, "Is this your first time here?"

"No, I've been before." I just nod. Is this where he takes all his dates?

"A couple of my friends have their birthday parties here." He adds. "You're actually the first girl I've taken here."

Really? I don't know how to feel about this. Happy because I'm the first girl he's brought here or upset because he chose a club for a first date scenario. 

Luckily, I don't have to respond.

The bartender puts out two napkins and sits the two martinis on top of them.

"Here you are" he says.

"Thank you." I say instinctively.

"Sure thing" He smiles at me and walks to his next customer.

I'm almost afraid to see what expression Josh has on his face right now. I assume it wouldn't be good since the girl you're on a date with is practically getting looks from the tender at the bar. 

But when I turn to look at Josh, he's looking out into the crowd of people with his elbows on the bar supporting him. One hand has his phone and the other has the glass of alcohol.

"Looking for someone?" I ask innocently. 

He looks at me as if he just had come out of a trance. "Uh, no." He takes a seat next to me and continues. "How's your drink?"

 "It's great." I say looking at the glass that I've to to let my lips touch.

"Great" was all he said.

Maybe a club wasn't the best way to get to know someone. The loud music makes it impossible to talk and to hear what the other is saying. The lights make your eyes dizzy, and the next thing you know, you're tripping over tables or other people's foot.

I look over to Josh. He doesn't say anything. He's just staring off into the green alcohol.

Maybe he's looking for you to break the ice my conscience informs me.

Yeah, maybe.

Right as i was about to say something, Josh  scrimmaged into his pocket and pulled out his phone. He pressed it a couple of times before turning to me.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom really quick."

"Oh, okay." I say to him.

"I'll be right back." He hopes out of the stool and kisses me on the cheek before disappearing into the crowd. Involuntarily, my hand cupped the cheek that had been singed by his soft lips.

Bathroom? I questioned.

Maybe he's nervous. My conscience, once again bringing me the positive outcomes. Not all guys are bad. Maybe just my father.

 ____