Coming Home

It was him. His face, his rose tattoo, his lips. He was looking down until he read the name on the clipboard, and when he did, he looked up with total shock and realization in his eyes. He stumbled over his words before he was even close to being able to speak.

"Uh... Mrs... Uhh... Could I have a moment to speak with Emily alone? Maybe you could go get some food or coffee."

My mom nodded and quietly stood up and walked out of the room. As soon as she closed the door, he let the clipboard clatter to the floor, and rushed to my side. He scooped my up into his arms and buried his face in my hair. I took a deep breath as I felt the strength of his arms around my skinny waist. He pulled away and ran his hands across my face as tears started to form in his eyes. He buried his face back into my collar bones and asked me again, "Why?".

" You left. I felt so broken because I never thought you'd leave."

" I didn't mean to, I woke up. I'm so sorry. This is all my fault."

I lifted my arms to place my hands under his chin to lift it up so I could look into those green orbs that I loved so much.

"It's not your fault."

He looked deeply into my eyes, and let his lips collide with mine. His lips moved softly like silk on mine, and they were warm. He wrapped his fingers into my hair, and let me press my chest into his as I melted into him. We kissed passionately for a while before he pulled away because he felt something warm on his arm.

He looked down to see that one of my stitches had busted loose and I was bleeding again. He redressed the wound after re-stitching it, and then kissed me again. He held me so tightly and whispered, "I'll never leave again. I promise."

I had enough faith in those words, to actually smile for the first time in 10 years. He held me until he heard my mom approaching the door. He kissed my quickly and then scooped up the clipboard just before she opened the door.

"Ma'am could I speak to you outside quickly?"

She nodded and they stepped out of the room. After about 20 minutes, he stepped back into the room alone.

"Since you're now 19, she's letting you do whatever you'd like to do. Now you have the option to come stay with me, and I'll always take care of you. I promise."

I nodded slowly as I smiled softly, and he hugged me before stepping back into the hallway. He stayed out for a couple minutes before he and my mother came back into the room at the same time. My mother came to stand by my side.

"Darling, do you trust this man enough to go stay with him? I believe that he will take good care of you."

I nodded as I glanced from her eyes, to his as they lit up with excitement when I nodded.

She smiled weakly, then turned to him.

"Take care of her, and make sure that you call me every week to update me on how she's doing. I trust you."

She kissed me on the forehead before she left the room quietly after patting his shoulder softly. He walked over to me and held me tightly before pulling away to talk to me.

"Listen, I am gonna take you home with me, but you have to stay here until my shift ends around midnight. Get some rest and I'll carry you out to the car when it's time for us to leave. I'll come back in here every now and then and I'll check on you. But for now, I have to finish doing my job. I'll be back soon. I love you baby."

I nodded slowly before smiling. He kissed my forehead before covering me up and then leaving the room quietly. I laid my head back and closed my eyes. I drifted off into sleep, and dreamt of nothing.