chapter twelve

- Harry's -

I haven't heard from Sophie since Saturday.

It worries me a little that we might drift apart because I don't want us to drift apart. I don't want her to go away and find her way to Niall. I don't like it. As much as I hated seeing her be so comfortable with my own bandmate, it's not like I can do anything.

'People go together with other people that fit them', Liam always reminded me. But what if I want to be that piece of puzzle that fits snuggly with her? 

I get paranoid everytime I see Niall on the phone. I'm always questioning if he's texting her. Just a few days ago, I could overhear his conversation with her over the phone. Niall's not even her boyfriend, why is he acting like one?

I heard Niall chuckle lightly. I lifted my eyes off my dinner to look at him.

"What's wrong with you?" Zayn asked as he styled his hair in the mirror.

Niall didn't respond immediately. "Huh? What?" he said, looking up non-chalantly. "Nothing. Just something funny I saw." he shrugged it off casually before going back to texting.

"Okay, can you hurry up? We need to go." Zayn reminded him. They were going to a little house party for someone I don't even know, exactly the reason why I didn't follow. Plus, I feel weird around Niall nowadays.

It's bad for us to be like this but I can't help but feel like Niall is competition. Things can't exactly be the same between us and I know he felt it too. We're just really awkward with each other nowadays. And I vividly remembered us agreeing to not let any girl come in between us. 

I was pretty sure that Niall liked Sophie. I mean, why not? She's perfect and she doesn't even know it. 

"Alright, let's go." Niall said, picking up his jacket and placing his phone in his pocket. "Don't stay up to late, Har." Niall teased as he ruffled his hand through my hair.

I flinched back in annoyance as Zayn came in to mess my hair again.

"Don't have too much fun without me. I'll be here, eating my Chicken Lasagna." I told them before hearing the door click close. 

- Sophie's -

I don't know if it was my nerves or if I was just really a bad driver, but I was doing a bad job on the road right now. I can't believe Amber trusted me with her life because I could see the fear on her face as I made my way on the highway.

"Not to pop your bubble but can you drive better?" Amber commented as she held onto her seatbelt tightly. I took a deep breath and tried to concentrate on the road as much as possible. 

I had agreed to drop Amber off before meeting my dad. I knew Amber couldn't drive so well either and offered to give her a ride to some office party she needed to attend. Once again, that would've been me if I was under this stupid contract.

I told myself to not let my demons overcome me and just told myself to calm down. "You look great by the way. I just forgotten to tell you that when I picked you up." I huffed out, managing to take control of the steering wheel better.

"Really? Thank god. I was on this no-meat diet for about two weeks. Didn't think it actually worked but now that you said so..." she smiled in her seat. Amber had taken a longer time on her makeup and dressing because she looked fantastic. Of course, Amber is already gorgeous to start with. 

"How do I look?" I asked her as I cornered the street.

She took a look at me. "You look adorable, Sof. By the way, that dress makes your waist look amazing." she sang, making me laugh. "Good that you have nice legs, I'll never dare to wear a short dress." Amber sulked in an over-dramatic manner.