chapter seventeen

I was sure that I left my mother a note near the breakfast table where I knew she'd always check every morning. If not, the house maids would have probably seen it and passed it to my mother. I guess tonight's dress code is all black because that's what I went for.

Black tank top, black pants, black hoodie - I looked like I was going to rob someone's place tonight. I had carefully typed out an email to Claudia, thinking very deeply about it and sounding as professional since that bitch can't cut me slack.

As for Amber, I was sure she was going to get my voicemail when she checks it at the end of the week. 

Only one last place to go to and I'm off. Now, I'm not going to make rash decisions and move to Mexico with a new identity or anything. I just need time off from this life and settle back to my old life when things were simple and plain.

I was going to run away but this time, just for a while. And I was sure as hell that I wasn't going to back out this time. I pulled over at the familiar sight of the apartment building and parked my car in an empty spot. There weren't much tenants here anyway since the boys needed to be locked down and safe here. 

I rushed towards the the lobby, not wanting to be spotted by anyone.

I thought of what to say and how to say it and hope that he can understand. Just saying it in my head made me realise how selfish I'm acting at the moment. I needed space to think, that's all.

Before I could even the knock, the door opened and I came face to face with Louis. "Hey, Sof." he greeted softly, pulling me into a hug. "What are you doing here?"

"Is Harry here?" I asked before the door swung open to see Niall popping up. 

He had a sad look in his eyes but he tried to hide it with a smile. Louis tried to push Niall away from the door in a small gesture as he led me towards the hallway, creaking the door behind close. "No, he's not." he whispered, looking back to the door.

"Didn't he go home with you guys?" I asked. Louis signalled me to lowered down my volume, mouthing 'Niall' which I assumed was trying to eavesdrop our conversation. 

"Niall and him got really tensed on the ride back here." Louis explained, still being wary of what he was saying. "They're not in good terms so Harry kinda just bailed on us for the night saying he needed space." Well that makes two of us. 

I tucked my hand in the pocket of my hoodie. "Where did he go?"

"He went to a motel down the street." he said. "It's how Harry is. He doesn't want things to go downhill so he just isolates himself so no one else gets affected. That's how he's built - he's a flight kind of person." he explained again.

"I need to talk to him-- I need to talk to you guys actually since we're here." I continued on, finding it hard to look at his gaze. "I'm sorry if I came between any of you. I didn't think this whole thing would blow up like this."

Louis sighed, looking up at me. "It's not your fault." he tried to convince me. "Things happen."

"The last thing I want to do is ruin you guys... And if I'm gone for a while, it's because I need to think." I explained implicitly. I turned away, wanting to walk away from them. 

"Where are you going?" he asked.

I took a deep breath in. "To talk to him." I looked back, to see him nodding at me lightly. 

-

I drove down a few blocks to see the motel Louis was talking about and for sure, there were one or two papz who managed to follow Harry to here. Last thing I wanted was to be spotted so I went over to the back alley and made my way through the back of the motel.