Chapter Three

(Seto's POV)

I started dragging my feet as Aunt Lucy, Abigail, and I made our way to the middle of town. The sun was staring to set, and Notch was probably already waiting for all of the warriors-to-be to gather there. Upon entering the clearing, the guards, who are already in Notch's army, quickly lead me away from Lucy and Abigail. I hear Abigail start sniffling back tears, but I might cry if I look back. A sword is shoved into my hands and I quickly join the forming line. We were to all do at least one sword fight so Notch can get an idea as to where we should be in the army. Maybe if I screw this up enough, I might be able to be a medic. A medic wouldn't be so bad, I could help a lot of people. Then again, I don't think I could handle it if I had to deal with gushing blood wounds. I don't like blood.

As I wait in line, the people in front of me are moved to a ring in the dirt. They start sparing with wooden swords. Before I quite know what's happening, I'm pushed into my own ring. The person standing opposite gives me a snicker. I instantly recognize them as someone from my old school. They used to tease and taught me, he still does as a matter of fact. It would sometimes even get physical. I could never beat him then, and not now. This will be fun.

He strikes first, and I bearly manage to dart out of the way. I then go behind him and try to kick his legs. He spins and slams the flat of his sword against my side. I fall back in pain, clutching my side. He then steps forward and punches the side of my face. Stars cloud my vision as I fall to the ground. I dimly see Notch watching our battle, letting him knock me out just for entertainment.

As I lay here, the world seems to stop. Silence covers me like a blanket. My thoughts just freeze. I feel my hands start burning before the world resumes its course. A wooden sword swings for my head. I only react. I grab the sword in one hand, my other coming up to my opponent's face. My hand bursts into purple flame as it makes contact. He lurches back, pulling me up with his sword. I'v pinned him down in an instant, both my arms raised and engulfed in flame. And at that moment, my thoughts return, along with my sanity that had been shattered at that moment.

I freeze, the flames going out. I can see everyone looking at me in horror. I look back down at my opponent, to see the hand shaped burn mark on his face. I lurch to the side and scramble away from him. What have I done? I'm a monster. The boy crawls back into the crowd that is still stuck starring at me. Then, a voice yells out, "KILL HIM", Notch commands. Guards surge forward, and people run away from me, screaming. Running away from me. I sit still, frozen as my doom comes racing at me. This is what I deserve, right? This is what happens to freaks. This is what happed to the mages.

I'm suddenly yanked to my feet, and shoved into a run. Yellow flashes behinds me, and I turn my head to look. The women from the market......... she's using magic! Her eyes Blaze yellow as Notch's army rushes to get to her. I turn to my right, to find Mr. Merfy, dragging me by my arm. His eye are flashing green, while he lashes out at the charging guards. His magic seems to be making barriers, that the the guards slam into it. Still in my shocked state, I can only listen as Merfy shoves a book into my hands. "Seto! You need to listen to me", he shouts over all the screams, "You need to run! That book will explain everything. I'll lead them away, and you run into the forest as fast as you can! And not stop for anything!". He shoves me to the left, and my legs take me racing towards the forest.

As I run, I hear one last wail, before I enter the forest. I spin around to see my little sister. I stare at Abigail, who is crying. Not in fear, but in sadness. I gather the courage to quickly shout, "I love you Abigail! Don't forget that!", before plugging into the trees. I hear her voice behind me, crying out into the night, "I will find you Seto! For as long as it takes I will look for you! I love you Setoooo".

My feet bring me pounding through the woods, and I fail to notice the ravine until I'm falling into it. Down, down, down into the abyss.