Good Times Roll

Champagne flute in hand, Veronica raised it against Sallie's, hearing the faint clink on impact of their celebratory cheer. The plethora of attendees - the cast and crew - were enjoying themselves immensely. Music blared, while the the aroma of intoxication and happiness radiated through the brightened interior of the lounge.

"Here's to the most kick-ass movie ever!" Sallie exclaimed, emptying her glass within seconds.

Veronica sipped her own glass before lowering it from her lips. "Easy there, Sal."

"If someone gives me free booze, you bet I'm going to drink all of it."

"You're gonna kill yourself before you get back to LA." Veronica lifted her glass again to take another sip. "What's gonna happen then? I won't be taking care of your funeral."

"What kind of friend are you?" Sallie asked. "I thought we were besties!"

"Since when?" Veronica smiled. Referring to her as a bestie was a far stretch. However, she and Sallie had grown very close over the last several months. They'd taken the time to explore the city whenever they were provided the opportunity. Those moments were sporadic, but it was an enlightening experience for her. She had visited New York City in the past, though she'd never stayed very long.

She familiarized herself with historical facts with a trip to the Museum of Natural History, grew immersed in the art at the MET, and took stupid photos with wax celebrities at Madame Tussaud's. Sallie had loved taking photos where she was pretending to punch a few famous figures she didn't like.

"Ronnie!" Daniel yelled through the crowd, pushing his way through to reach her.

Daniel Sanders was the big shot man who'd directed Extraneous. He had a ruggedness of a worn man that gave him the appearance of looking older than he was. He had deep lines over the skin on his face, a sharp nose and constantly narrowed hazel eyes. He was a hard worker, but also boisterous, and really liked to show affection.

"Just the woman I wanted to see!" he said after he was standing in close proximity to her. He wrapped an arm around Veronica and pulled her closer to him. "Come drink with me."

"I don't-" Veronica was mid-protest, when it registered that he might take the rejection as a sign of ungratefulness. "Okay, sure, why not?"

"Don't steal my drinking buddy!" Sallie whined, linking her arm around Veronica's. There was a pleading tone in her voice that sounded a bit unsettling.

"Don't worry. I'll bring her back," Daniel assured her, grinning as he dragged Veronica almost forcefully away from Sallie's grasp.

Daniel tore her through everyone until they were situated directly in front of the bar counter. "It's a real shame Ralston couldn't make it."

"Yeah, but he's been really busy." She had barely spoken to him at all this week. The filming of his movie had originally been scheduled two months ago, but was ultimately delayed because filling up positions for the crew members involved copious amounts of effort. Eventually, the first days of his movie's filming period coincided with her movie's final two weeks of production.

"You've got me," Daniel said, winking playfully at her.

Something about that ignited agitation. She supposed maybe he meant nothing by it. Daniel did have a habit of making people uncomfortable around him.

She was busy fiddling with her phone and texting Ralston, barely noting Daniel had ordered drinks for the two of them. He lifted hers off counter when the bartender had set the glasses in from of him.

"A whiskey sour for the lovely lady," he said, with that dopey grin on his face, reaching his arm out to hand her the drink

"My favorite?" She wasn't playing games to fluff his ego. That genuinely was her drink of choice. How did he know?

"I pay more attention than you think," he told her, probably reading the confusion and surprise on her face.

She took the glass from him. "Thanks," she said, taking a small sip.

He frowned. "This is a party. Drink up."

"I don't think I should drink it too fast. I'm not a big drinker."

"Says the girl who likes the whiskey sour? I don't buy it." He shook his head.

"I need to call Ralston." She was already scrolling through her contacts. It was odd. She knew his number by heart and didn't even have to scroll; perhaps she was doing it out of habit.

"Call him later."

She contemplated it, believing he had a solid point.

"You should be enjoying yourself. You think he's sitting around, wondering what you're up to? No. He's doing his own thing."

For a second she wanted to argue that, yes, Ralston was wondering about her, but there was no evidence of that. Her conclusions were based on pure assumption.

She pushed her phone back into her purse. "You're right." She wolfed the drink down rapidly.

And one drink became two, and three, and four. Eventually she lost count.

After all, she did have something big to celebrate tonight.

Following years of starring in little known, but critically acclaimed, independent films, Veronica Pryde finally landed a starring role in a potential blockbuster film, executed by the mind of a renowned director and producer.

Veronica Pryde would finally be a star. Maybe.