Our Lips Are Sealed

"What the fuck happened? Who were you screaming at?"

Ralston hadn't refrained himself from garnering unwanted attention with his hollering. He was fuming and hadn't tried to kept his voice levelled or inaudible to thosewho weren't in his vicinity.

So, it wasn't a surprise that Laura had overheard. "I think there were people on the Rockies who could hear you. You sounded pissed."

"It was nothing," Veronica replied. "He got flack for defending my honour."

"Is this about that shit that guy's been saying? Didn't he call you a stalker? He seems so delusional," Laura said. "I've always heard weird stuff about him. He's always hanging around women half his age he says are his friends. Maybe they are but it's still creepy. Wonder if his wife minds."

Ralston didn't want to discuss anything about Daniel anymore. The name itself made him livid. One day he'd go to the man's house and bash his stupid head in.

"He gave me bad vibes when we worked together," Veronica put in. "I don't think I'd ever want to work with him again."

"I saw those photos of him groping Sallie Horn's ass. Did he grab your ass on set too?"

"Not exactly," she replied.

"I think I need a drink," Ralston said. He was still aggravated by Toby's proposal that he give an apology. Ralston, usually, could find it within himself to say sorry first. Not in instances like these. He would never apologize to Daniel or anyone who lapped up his stupid fabrications.

"It's ten in the morning," Laura pointed out.

"Then I'll be getting a good head start for tonight, wouldn't I?" he asked.

"No, okay, you're just going to get angrier," Veronica said. "Have a seat at the table and eat breakfast. You'll feel better."

He hesitated but obliged, sitting himself at one of empty stools.

"What the fuck was going on?" Declan asked, as he entered the kitchen with Alana behind him. "I could hear you yelling from all the way upstairs. You woke both of us up."

"I was talking to my publicist," he replied. "He wants me to stay off Twitter for a while or hire an assistant to manage it."

"Well, you do say some stupid things," Alana said.

"It wasn't stupid. I was mad."

"You were having a-"

"It wasn't a meltdown!" he spat. Hadn't Alana seen the comments Daniel made? Why was she being nonchalant and brushing it aside?

He used a fork to stab into all the different selections on the table. Every time he got worked up over something he overate to compensate for concealing his agitation.

All the contents emptied out quickly. He didn't say anything, but it was the most Ralston had seen Veronica eat in a while.

__________

It was a mistake for Veronica to check up on the online profiles. Hearing the spat Ralston had with his publicist upped her curiosity. The comments she'd come across weeks ago had been brutal.

Some part of her brain evidently enjoyed torturing herself. More scabs to pick or pry off.

She was sitting outside in one of the reclining chairs on the deck by the lake, watching the sunset. She had told everyone earlier she wanted some fresh air. Thankfully, despite the decent weather and breathtaking streaks of pink and orange coating the sky, no one had disturbed the serenity.

Veronica knew it was stupid to care what people thought of her. She didn't know any of them personally, which made any perception they had of her inaccurate.

But it still hurt. They had maligned both her, as well as Ralston for defending her and calling Daniel out on his lies. How could they, without feeling bad about it? Why were people so heartless?

Her and her husband are both psychos and need some sort of mental evaluation.

I've met Veronica a few times and she's so phoney and irritating.

I feel sorry for Daniel being stalked by this nobody. Who is this chick?

Lol at this pathetic loser. She's been trying to make herself happen for ten years now. Stop trying, bitch. You haven't made it cause you fucking suck.

Mediocre actress, mediocre actor and director and whatever else he calls himself. I don't give a shit about either.

Idk why Daniel would lie about her. And she should be happy cause before that no one knew who she was. Where's your thanks, Veronica?

Don't even know who this girl but she seems like a star fucker.

Formerly known for: Being Ralston Wirth's wife
Now known as: Daniel Sanders' stalker
You've really worked your way up, Veronica!

She would have responded to these Tweets but it was useless. It would only make her more downhearted. After all she'd been through, she did not want to cope with another rush of bad emotions.

Iris had given her good advice. Stay succinct. Stay civil. Take the wise way. She'd create a bigger target on her back if she were active.

Her face was now wet with tears, her eyes stinging. She didn't want him to win, but maybe he had already.